I Forge Iron

Wire inlay in pattern welded steel.

Drq

I was wondering if anyone has any experience inlaying wire into a pattern welded blade. I am hoping to do some runes into a blade I'm working on, but am unsure about the etching process. I am wondering if the etchant will attack the inlay wire faster than the steel. I'm hoping to inlay copper and fine silver into an L-6, 1018 and 5160 blade. Any suggestions on etchants or methods ? Thanks again for the help !

Drq

Not something a lot of folks do that I am aware of but that will give you a chance to break some maybe new ground. A suggestion is to forge your billet and then prepare a few sample pieces from it and try some experiments. Including heat treat, to make sure that your inlay does not melt at a lower temp tan you heat needed for hardening. Standard wire inlay processes should work well as long as your billet is annealed first. After HT you can try several etching methods and see if any of them suit your tastes.

Be aware that both silver and copper having low melting points, will melt and drop out during the heat treat. I suggest you first cut the channels for the inlay in the annealed blade, then HT the blade. After HT and cleaning of the channels, then you apply the inlay, to avoid them melting at heat. But then you have chance that the channels may present as stress risers during the HT... good luck

for info on inlaying a blade, look on ben Potter's Site
Ben Potter
this is the only inlay tutorial i've found that is any good. i am pretty interested in inlay myself, so i found this tutorial and thought it was pretty helpful. one thing i havn't figured out is how to blacken steel without tarnishing the copper, brass, or nickle silver.

Ed Steinkirchner

Pure copper (melting point: 1981 F) and fine silver (1761 F) should not melt at proper hardening temps for a low alloy, medium carbon steel. However, I would worry about the silver and/or copper possibly dissolving in the etch and then plating onto one or more of the other metals.