I Forge Iron

Anvils & the Science Channel

My name is Jessica Ribeiro and I am the Associate Producer for a new show for the Discovery Science Channel showcasing Anvil Shooting. We are on the hunt for anvil shooters who would like to compete. We are also looking for blacksmiths who forge anvils the old fashioned way.

If interested, please contact me at Jessicas@sharpentertainment.com.

There are to my knowledge no smiths who forge anvils the old fashion way. I few smiths hear and there have forged smallish one off anvils but not in the traditional built up wrought iron process. Though with some encouragement aka "fame and fortune" a few might step up to the plate who are willing to try. Just to be clear I would be willing to try or be part of the crew who forged an anvil. The last company who forged anvils went out in the 1950's. Also Anvil shooting is a controversial subject among blacksmiths. Many feel that it is inherently dangerous if not stupid. It is fun to watch but encouraging people who don't really understand the risks involved is reckless. Its a compacted mix of ballistics and metallurgy to get it to work safely. Abana the Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America will ban any affiliate who shoots anvils at their meets. Most Blacksmiths in this country are members of Abana or members of an affiliate of Abana.

Yeah it was not something his crew "just did" they built a special forge to weld the wrought and work the anvil and it was a progression of smaller anvils leading up to the 100lber... I bet they made 6 or 7 in all... some better than others.. He worked at it for months and I think finally with the one big anvil they decided to call it good

It looks to me like the OP doesn't mean forging one from wrought iron, just that they'd like one forged, not cast or machined?

Good luck lads, it looks like it will be an extremely fun project. :D

And for what it's worth, Moony, Forgemaster & a couple of helpers forged a small anvil from 4140 at Get Hammered last year. Took a couple of hours (if that) under Moony's 700CWT.

I would be interested in watching the progress of an anvil getting forged.

But as for "shooting" an anvil, I'll pass. As hard as it can be for some blacksmiths to obtain a good anvil it is contrary to most blacksmith thinking to place one in danger of being destroyed. Not to mention the inherent danger of the act.

Should you happen to air a show on forging an anvil I will guarantee I will watch. Once the shooting starts though, I'll run for cover on another channel.

Mark<><

Wouldn't you agree though it would be a lot more dramatic to see an anvil forge welded together from hunks of wrought iron by men wielding sledge hammers. It would also be an true representation of how anvils were traditionally made. Instead of out of one hunk of alloy steel under a large air hammer. When they refaced that anvil using a team of strikers at the quad state 2 years ago it was something to see.

Wouldn't you agree though it would be a lot more dramatic to see an anvil forge welded together from hunks of wrought iron by men wielding sledge hammers. ...

I think every smith in the world would love to see that. It wouldn't be an easy thing to film either. The light from the hot metal would make it hard to get clear shots and it's not a process where you can reshoot till you get shots you need.

But Ms Ribiero is not interested in forging anvils nor is most of the world. She wants to make a program about anvil shooting which is loud, dangerous and stupid - the sort of thing that makes great TV.

Media are interested in cheap sensationalism. If you've ever seen a subject that you are knowledgeable about portrayed in the media, you will realize what a shoddy job they do and how badly the material is misrepresented so that it can be played for laughs and gasps.

The South East Regional Blacksmith Association (SERBA)Conference, odd # years in Madison, Georgia, always had an anvil shoot conducted by the auctioneer, Col. Tim Ryan. That was THE reason for the ABANA divorce from the chapters in 2001. I was there, it was the subject of much discussion and a special T-shirt to commemorate the event. One of the prior year events was filmed as part of the Forge & Anvil TV series. And yes, it really is as fun to be at as it looks on TV. :) :) :)

The special anvils are regularly X-rayed to check for flaws, and there is an armor plate blast barricade between the crowd and the explosion. Trajectory is pretty much straight up and down, so there is minimal risk to the crowd behind the safety ropes. This is NOT an amateur event by "a bunch of liquored up good ol' boys", however it might be portrayed.

Now called the Southern Blacksmith Association, May 19-21 this year.

http://sbaconference.com/

yes... among blacksmiths... anvil shooting is a horrible thing because those poor poor anvils get hurt and they would be put to much better uses in our forges! Shooting anvils is almost sacrilegious for us blacksmiths.
while some people are buying and breaking perfectly good anvils... there is someone who is getting into the trade that could of put it to good use!! ( luckily... anvil shooting doesn't happen so much in england! )

but!! good luck on your quest and good luck with the show..
as previously mentioned...not many people forge anvils these days ( well none) unless as a one off... We all either rely on old (from when they forged them)forged anvils or more modern cast anvils ( which if made of cast iron and not cast steel are of inferior quality in terms of what a blacksmith needs) the forged anvils would be built up in sections out of wrought iron and then a steel plate would be forge welded onto the plate and that then would be hardened and tempered to the specification of the steel used. these anvils would be made entirely by hand with a team of strikers ( : a striker : is someone who wields a sledge hammer and hits the metal where the person in charge tells them to). no power tools were used ( because they didn't have them of course).
Though... it would be possible i am sure to get someone to make one the old fashion way for the purposes of this program you are making, though there may be a budget issue ( because paying for consumables, steel, iron and the strikers costs money obviously.). People have and still will ( from time to time) forge anvils.

sorry for my rant at the beginning!

GOOD LUCK

alec

I have forged 19 anvils from a solid cube of steel by myself using my powerhammer.
Most never had one blow with a hand hammer. I have many witnesses.
If you would like to see pics go to New anvils in the anvil section of this forum.
I know the process i just need bigger equipment.

I've been at a blacksmithing event where an anvil shoot was part of the festivities and found it kind of fun. I don't find myself horrified by the idea or yet understand how Abana overreacted to such an activity. I'm a smith who uses old tools and old anvils in my work and I like to preserve them as well as I can. I wouldn't use one of my own shop anvils for that use but I wouldn't stick one on shelf just to look at either. If proper safety precautions are in place why not shoot an anvil dedicated to that purpose- is it any worse than some other activities we applaud?

Not all wrought anvils were made entirely by teams of strikers using no machinery- no sensible manufacturer eschewed water powered trip hammers and later steam hammers when they became available. Does any one remember the composite painting on the jacket of Anvils in America- while several men were shown controlling the anvil being made it was being forged under a steam hammer. The largest anvil I've personally forged is tiny; it only weighed about six pounds and even it was forged under a friends little giant at a demo when the strikers didn't show.

I've been at a blacksmithing event where an anvil shoot was part of the festivities and found it kind of fun. I don't find myself horrified by the idea or yet understand how Abana overreacted to such an activity. I'm a smith who uses old tools and old anvils in my work and I like to preserve them as well as I can. I wouldn't use one of my own shop anvils for that use but I wouldn't stick one on shelf just to look at either. If proper safety precautions are in place why not shoot an anvil dedicated to that purpose- is it any worse than some other activities we applaud?

Not all wrought anvils were made entirely by teams of strikers using no machinery- no sensible manufacturer eschewed water powered trip hammers and later steam hammers when they became available. Does any one remember the composite painting on the jacket of Anvils in America- while several men were shown controlling the anvil being made it was being forged under a steam hammer. The largest anvil I've personally forged is tiny; it only weighed about six pounds and even it was forged under a friends little giant at a demo when the strikers didn't show.

True machinery was used to make anvils even when they were still using strikers to do the welds. I was not tiring to say that they did not use trip hammers but they were useing strikers as well. They were using trip hammers to make the billets that they were welding together by hand. I have read that It was felt that a weld done with a sledge was stronger than under a power hammer. For the vast majority of time forged anvils were built up out of smaller chunks of wrought iron or the like, lets say from the discovery or iron till about 1850 It was being done by hand by men with hammers. That's at least 5000 years so I would call that traditional. Steam hammers and forged steel are modern inventions. Even Hay Budden used strikers to finish up their anvils there are drawings of them doing in so in anvils in America.

Sounds like a job for Frankyluckman (Jesse) I know he likes explosives!

I have made a couple small anvils on my Murray after watching Clifton's video a dozen times.

A couple projects lined up for the Niles when I get it up and running again, Larry wants a 12" post vise so I should go ahead and put an anvil on the list!

• 4 months later...

Well I guess they got their money shot, and it cost dearly... Tim Ryan was the one that was injured, as well some from the camera crew. Tim has shot the anvil at Madison every year for a decade or so, not sure how many he has shot but I know it was a bunch.

http://www.cltv.com/news/ktvi-anvil-shooting-farmington-mythbusters-060611,0,1433984.story

That is too bad...Tim has done this many times without incident.
This will not speak well of the activity.

So..whom did they get to forge the anvil? I spoke to them last year and they said they had someone.

Ric