I Forge Iron

building a forging shop.

im planing on building a shed (shop) so i can forge year round its going to be 8'x12'x10'. Im making it out of plywood but im worried that the noise will be overwhelmingly loud in side and was planing on using expanding foam on the inside to cut down on the noise reverberating around. Do you think this will work? if not what would u suggest?

post-14388-0-16067700-1294696794_thumb.j

Expanding foam, isn't that an isocynate product that reacts poorly to fire?

If the problem is your ears---wear good hearing protection!

If it's neighbors look into materials that are not as resonant.

I have a steel walled and steel roofed shop and have no problems, of course I wear hearing protectors and have no neighbors close.

Hey there Ironbudd,

I too am in the planning stages of building a shop. Winter is here and the old bones are feeling the wind. I'm thinking of a 15 X 15 three sided with the open side facing south. The open side will eventually have doors.
I also want to have the three side walls open up to the air to allow summer air to pass through.
I'll see how it goes. Keep us posted with your progress and I'll do the same.

Good luck.

Mark<><

noise from a anvil isnt that bad ... now if you have a tumbler!!! trip hammers can be fairly loud and if its really a problem use the sound board on the inside ! if you go plywood outside and soundboard inside it should be fairly quiet (as quiet as your going to get ) ive used the soundboard to quiet my tumbler and was quite inpressed by it ! anyway good luck1

I also work under sheet metal roofing and walls and the high pitched noise is a bit much. Plywood wouldn't be all that bad noise wise. Also considering a small dedicated smithy leanto/shed. I was thinking of lining sheathing it with cement board. Fire proof, and anything would be quieter than the sheet metal. Hearing protection via the in ear plugs that are connected by a flexible band under the chin. They go in your ears without contacting your fingers, keeps your ears cleaner.

and was planing on using expanding foam on the inside to cut down on the noise reverberating around.

I would stay away from any foam product near a fire source. Line it with cement board or firecode sheetrock. Fumes from almost all burning foam is toxic. An air space between layers would also help to cut down sound.

i just built a larger shop well not me personally but... :P

as for ply-wood... it is very expensive and if i were you i would use 3/4 inch chipboard. chipboard is also quite sound deadening... if you build you frame out of 2 x 4's in the air space between te frame and the inside sheet of chipboard you can put insulating ( we used sheets of polystyrene ) it also makes it nice and warn in the winter. all of this also makes for a very sturdy construction.

my 2 penny's

alec

also... with a shop that small... i would make it a much simpler construction... ( 3 sided, feather boarding as walls, corrugated sheet as roof etc..it will keep you nicely out of the rain as it did for me for 2 years and it is a lot cheaper than building a much more permanent version... that way when you want to expand in the futurer you wont waste too much money

my 3 penny's

alec