I Forge Iron

Cracked Finger Tips

knots

Nowadays, the longer chain polymer, 2-octyl cyanoacrylate, is the preferred medical grade glue. It is available under various trade names, such as LiquiBand, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal, and Dermabond. These have the advantages of being more flexible, making a stronger bond, and being easier to use. The longer side chain types, for example octyl and butyl forms, also reduce tissue reaction."

As much as I dislike Wikipedia, it has in it exactly what I found searching Pubmed, the major peer reviewed journal database for medical professionals. There are versions that are not absorbed and converted to toxic chemicals, have fewer tissue reactions and are less likely to cause allergies If there is a safer product, we should be promoting it. Even if the amount of exposure to the non-medical grade superglues is minimal. You are right about relative risk but I would prefer to minimize all the risk that I can rather than worrying about the greater of the two evils.

I say this so that people can look at the thread and know there are other alternatives out there at the local drug store.

As much as I dislike Wikipedia, it has in it exactly what I found searching Pubmed, the major peer reviewed journal database for medical professionals. There are versions that are not absorbed and converted to toxic chemicals, have fewer tissue reactions and are less likely to cause allergies If there is a safer product, we should be promoting it. Even if the amount of exposure to the non-medical grade superglues is minimal. You are right about relative risk but I would prefer to minimize all the risk that I can rather than worrying about the greater of the two evils.

I say this so that people can look at the thread and know there are other alternatives out there at the local drug store.

This I can understand and appreciate. Thank You.

I've had the severe cracking fingertips for years and years. I tried everything, and Mane and Tail was pretty good. I finally asked my doctor about it, and he perscribed a lotion made by the Perrigo company, called "Halobetasol Propionate Cream, 0.05%". Bar none, this is the absolute best cream I've ever used. I put about 1/2 teaspoon full in my palm and start
working my hands like I was washing them. I also put a little extra on the cracks. It just takes less than 5 minutes of rubbing, and Guys my hands come out like baby hands, it's unreal. Plus, no worry about toxins, etc. I don't know what it cost because my medical policy covers it, but even if it didn't I'd buy it. I think I'm addicted! There may be a generic that's over the counter or at least not as expensive (if it is). I sure wish I had enough to send everyone a spoonfull!! I used it about 2 hours ago, and my hands and fingers still feel like silk. No, I have no connection with the company, I'm just happy with a good product that really works for me, but of course, and you guys say, YMMV (but I don't think so!).

I've had the severe cracking fingertips for years and years. I tried everything, and Mane and Tail was pretty good. I finally asked my doctor about it, and he perscribed a lotion made by the Perrigo company, called "Halobetasol Propionate Cream, 0.05%". Bar none, this is the absolute best cream I've ever used. I put about 1/2 teaspoon full in my palm and start
working my hands like I was washing them. I also put a little extra on the cracks. It just takes less than 5 minutes of rubbing, and Guys my hands come out like baby hands, it's unreal. Plus, no worry about toxins, etc. I don't know what it cost because my medical policy covers it, but even if it didn't I'd buy it. I think I'm addicted! There may be a generic that's over the counter or at least not as expensive (if it is). I sure wish I had enough to send everyone a spoonfull!! I used it about 2 hours ago, and my hands and fingers still feel like silk. No, I have no connection with the company, I'm just happy with a good product that really works for me, but of course, and you guys say, YMMV (but I don't think so!).

Just a note of caution, from this link http://www.medicineonline.com/drugs/h/2723/halobetasol-propionate-cream-0-05.html

Halobetasol propionate cream is a super-high potency corticosteroid indicated for the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses. Treatment beyond two consecutive weeks is not recommended, and the total dosage should not exceed 50 g/week because of the potential for the drug to suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Use in children under 12 years of age is not recommended.

As with other highly active corticosteroids, therapy should be discontinued when control has been achieved.

Just a note of caution, from this link http://www.medicineonline.com/drugs/h/2723/halobetasol-propionate-cream-0-05.html

Halobetasol propionate cream is a super-high potency corticosteroid indicated for the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses. Treatment beyond two consecutive weeks is not recommended, and the total dosage should not exceed 50 g/week because of the potential for the drug to suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Use in children under 12 years of age is not recommended.

As with other highly active corticosteroids, therapy should be discontinued when control has been achieved.

Exactly, and thanks! As with all meds, take the standard precautions, read labels. In fact, with this cream, you'd need a prescription anyway, so your doctor will know how to advise you (if he even wants you to try it). Again, it sure helps cracked fingers, in much less than 2 weeks. Appreciate the link John B!
Robert

• 9 months later...

My hands have cracked real bad since I can remember. My dad's do as well but have gotten worse since he has been getting treatment for cancer. His Dr told him to use superglue on his hands.
I was given a gift a few years back from a lady that works on fingernails in a beauty shop. She gave me a paraffin wax tub thing. It heats wax to liquid you put lotion on your hands, dip hands in the wax and wait 10min or so and break the wax off your hands and throw it back in the waxer. :unsure: I cant believe I just wrote that, yes I wax my hands. It does work though and takes two to three days of just one time a day to get relief. You should have seen my dad's face at Christmas when I got him one. He used it and had mom call me two days later to tell me he has not had relief in eight years from his hands bleeding until now. You can get them at amazon or walmart. Don't knock the waxer off the table and onto the floor when the wax is melted, it makes a huge mess, and don't ask me how I know that. :D Hope it helps someone.

Some folks live where it gets colder than 40º and stays that way for a while. I grew up with bag balm in the barn. Try this stuff:

http://www.goldbondultimate.com/healing-lotion.html

It makes my hands so that I don't snag long sleeved tee shirts when I put them on. It is just plain old stuff, no perfume really. Cracked fingers no fun. This of course is US available and may not be world wide.

There is a place in Port Townsend or Mt. Vernon called Mountain Spirit Herbals. They have a web site. They make all kinds of natural salves. The Comfrey Wildflower Salve eases my diabetic neuropathy and old frostbite and cracked skin. Worth a try. Google them. I put it on at
bedtime and cover with light cotton glove.

• 3 months later...

I render tallow from deer and use it for a great many things, wood preservation/waterproofing, rust preventer, drill and saw lube etc. Plus side is it leaves your hands very soft, and costs nothing but a little cook time. Also last years with no refrigeration. I have a batch 3 years old good as new. For hunters out there its a option to consider.

i know ibe cracked my finger tip in masonry from just how the mortar dries out my hands. there are multiple fixes to this, for both masons and metal workers. i always rinse my hands off in just water in 3 hr intervals at most. any less and it helps dry it out. always use bar soap. lotion may not sound manly, but youll carry a small bottle after your hand cracks. bag balm is a great moisturizer as well as an antiseptic (dont ask why but every time i was bit/ scratched by a wild animal, it was an hour of salty bacon and then a bandaid with bag balm)

i know some of these may not sound good to yall, but it beats nursing a cracked fingertip.