I Forge Iron

industrial decoration

I was surfing the web and came across a website that had swage blocks and iron legs from old machines for sale to interior designers, they also had platen tables and fly presses so that you could decorate your loft apt. I even found places that were making reproduction stuff for decorating like a water jet cut swage block brand new being sold as a 400 lbs puzzle for adults. It was a swage block cut from solid steel it looked great but I could not find a price. I have an anvil in the living room and old survey equipment but I might drag in the swage block it would make a great coffee table.

I dont know how to post a link but the name of the site is AT95 it has cool legs and stands and Urban Remains chicago and a site called 20 they all had tools and cabinets and equipment there are others I found but the prices are insane you will suddenly think that those beat up tool cabinets are worth 1000s of dollars. They have lots of nice pics and descriptions but like I said the prices are insane.

Thanks for sharing!! Seeing these items should reassure all us of to never be hesitant to ask for the money that pays us for what we do. My son is an industrial/commercial architect. His clients willingly pay what seems to be outrageous prices for "just the right" piece to use as an accent for a room or display. There is seldom any quibling about the $$$ involved if the work done on the piece reflects an attention to detail - what we call craftmanship. What are the possibilites for us to create usable/saleable stuff that mimicks older pieces??

the prices are insane.

I just looked at tha AT95 website and I don't know what you mean by insane prices??? The stuff seems priced fairly to me for furniture built in North America using cast iron and solid wood. Yes it is overpriced by Walmart or Ikea offshore produced particle board crap standards. But I look at that stuff and figure what it would cost to build and make a reasonable profit for a BUSINESS and the prices look quite reasonable. I am sure that there are lots of people on this board who are charging much more than that for tables.

Gotta agree with you there.Look in any of the "galleries of fine furniture" and you`ll see they are rather reasonable.I think we may be a bit jaded by the fact we can pick up industrial bits and pieces and then slap nice wood tops on them ourselves for next to nothing.
Now those other 2 sites who charge in the thousands of dollars for what I cart home from the dump(I cart it home for free) are another story.I have a few items in my shop that are exactly the same as what they are wanting mega-bucks for.Some pieces look like they haven`t even gone to the trouble to blow the dust off.
I guess their customers are willing to pay the premium prices for the ability to say "I bought it in Manhattan and had it delivered".The folks who run those shops must LOVE e-bay!

More than one of the "summer people" who has a shop up here stocks it by going to yard sales,farm sales and auctions.She totes the stuff down to the "Harbor" and the tourists buy it for astronomical prices.Many times they drive right by the perpetual yard sales where the shop got it for pennies.Locals have to fight these shop owners off at the dump too.
After the tourist season ends they load whatever doesn`t sell in a rented box truck and hire one of us to deliver it to their "other gallery" in the Hamptons,Cape Cod,NYC etc where they can sell it during the Xmas season.
The locals all know if you want something good at a decent price better get it before Labor Day when the folks "from away" arrive to buy everything up.
Lately you see folks with laptops and cameras at the better auction previews clicking away for folks in Boston,NYC and points south to decide if they want to enter an on-line bidding war.Some retired folks who moved up here to live year round are making some good money on commission doing the " auction agent" thing.

"The times they are a changin`".

Personally, I would have gladly bought some of those pieces for the price asked. Try as you might, you cannot honestly duplicate the look of some of that stuff with a 'faux' finish, and that old look is very spot on for some decors. Me, I'm very traditionally minded and like the look of details you see in the older buildings. They really paid attention to the details!

Old phones and old fans, cast switch covers and light fixtures. Don't get me started on old wrought iron pieces....

I could spend hours walking through their warehouses, and I'm sure I would break down in tears at the thought of all the cool odds and ends I couldn't take home with me!

anvil http://urbanremainschicago.com/item.aspx?itemID=5426
little beat up may be an understatement

Now that`s the kind of anvil you don`t hate to see the decorators tote off.
Too bad that if it sells at that price it may cause others to raise the price of their serviceable anvils. :(