I Forge Iron

Is it Ok to use regular Home Depot Rebar for projects?

I was looking at Home Depot (big box hardware store for anyone that doesn't know) and they sell 12" long x 1/2" round rebar for under $1 each. Is it considered acceptable to use them for small projects like stocking hooks, towel holders, coat hooks, etc?

I am Very very new to all this, but am excited to get started, provided I can find affordable materials close to me...

To my knowledge rebar isn't a solid graded steel...it can be composed of a real hard end, a semi-brittle other end, and a soft center.
To play with and make small things out of I don't see a problem but for more serious things I would stay clear of rebar.

The type home depot sells may be different than industrial construction rebar, not sure.

For practice and based on proximity to me, I don't think $1 per stick is bad at all. Even if it is slightly questionable material. I am just learning. And I'm not trying to sell these... Plus, I have a custom spring shop that gives me 5160 for free, but its 1.75" x 1/4" x 16" and I am looking for something roundish.

use freely, but do not quench from a critical heat, unless you want a hard (or brittle) end product. SOME rebar has higher carbon than mild steel. It varies alot.

when you get to the end of your project, let the thing cool slowly from a red heat. should be nice and tough.
In fact, you may want to test the hardening properties by heating beyond magnetic, quenching, and test-breaking in a vice. BE CAREFUL!!!
If it breaks, it's hard; if it bends, its soft. You do not want brittle hooks.

read up a little on heat treating and material properties.:)

not knowing where you are at I can't make a suggestion on where to get better cheaper steel.Here in a small town in NM I buy it from a traditional windmill sales and service company.

I used to get A-36 in that exact size *free* from a moderate sized ornamental iron fab shop back in ohio.

I forgot I hadnt finished my profile here... I'm in Memphis, TN...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm reasonably sure I can dig through the scrap at the spring shop anytime I want and there's GOT to be some decent stuff in there too. I was just walking through HD today at lunch and started thinking.... Btw, I'm VERY dangerous when I get to thinkin'... ;)

You should be able to get 20' lengths of 3/8" rebar from a building supply store for under $5.

For larger scale applications, I am paying around $1200/metric tonne (that's 2200 pounds), that includes detailing and bending. However, I have heard the steel mills are pushing for a significant price increase right now.

Rebar here in Los Angeles just went up $50 a ton, and is expected to go up another $25 in January! Needless to say, the company i work for isn't doing much bidding of new work for the next two months. I buy my steel at a local steel supplier, the prices aren't the best, but they always have any size or shape i am looking for.

For those that care about rebar and it's characteristics check out this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

... specs, grades and other useful information. Hope this helps those who are seeking straight answers about rebar. Many people regard rebar simply as just another steel product, consequently it is used for "everything" that steel can do. How many of us have seen or used rebar as struts, connectors, braces, knives, prybars and fencing and so on. It is often pushed way beyond its intended use. While it works in many creative uses it is still only metal of questionable composition that is meant to provide tensil strength for concrete. Any other usage is done at the users risk. IMHO Steel that has a pedigree (a definable composition and perhaps a certifiable set of all around characteristics) will make products that will not embarass the producer. Otherwise, it is often free as scrap anywhere there is some kind of construction so go pick up all you can and beat it hot & hard while you learn.

Tim

Rebar is good when you are beginning because it's strict regarding rule #1; Work the material hot (yellow) and STOP when it gets cold (red).

You should prolly look into finding a smaller sized steel yard that sells "remnants". 20 bucks there will keep you pounding for weeks and you can get some fun shapes. Flat bar is great to hand forge. Steel yards are great to visit, bring cookies.

Unless your looking for that criss cross pattern that rebar has, seems like a bit of work to tap the pattern out smooth. I've seen folk artists make things out of "found objects" and they make very interesting projects out of rebar. Haven't seen a whole lot of hammering on it in places I've been though. Good luck in your search for materials.

Two tidbits which will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, along with some money.

In much of old Mexico, the horseshoes are made of rebar. In fact, a friend from Veracruz says that most customers won't allow a shoe to be nailed on unless it has some raised ribs showing on the thickness.

At a drunken party, the subject of rebar came up. One guy says that rebar was invented by a woman. Another responded, "No crap! These women are getting involved in everything! What was her name?"

"Reba McEntire."

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Artist type folk love the texture and architects too, they are into that sort of thing. I made a fence and gate for an architect once, he "just loved the texture and the way it rusted". I have made some sculptures out of it just because of the texture was nice but like the others are saying there is nothing like a good steel yard that sells shorts by the pound for good forging material. I have had some good times making stuff out of scrap I managed to get at the auto salvage yard in better times when they were more willing to work with a fellow. Take a six pack with you or money to bribe the yardbirds with to help grease the way in. Anything just to get what you want. <_<

Saw the post a bit late but you would be welcome to come over to my shop and pick up some pieces to work with. I have drops of all different sizes and different materials. I don't know what part of Memphis you live in. From downtown, it only takes about 40 minutes to get to my shop. Happy Forging