I Forge Iron

Electric blowers

civilwarblacksmith

I have finally set up the coke forge in the shop at the house. The forge is a side blown forge with a water tank and jacket around the airpipe. Blower is also on an air gate. This is the blower that I'm trying to use.

Blower, 60 CFM, 3030
Shaded Pole Blower, Air Flow @ 0.000 Inch Static Pressure 60 CFM, Speed 3030 , Voltage Rating 115 Volts, Current Rating 0.42 Amp, Frequency 60/50 Hertz, Thermal Protection Auto, Wheel Diameter 3 Inches, Wheel Width 1 7/8 Inches, Inlet Diameter 2 3/8 Inches, Air Flow @ 0.100 Inch Static Pressure 57 CFM
This is a 1/125 hp blower.

don't quite understand the cfm part. I would like to get this up to welding ability.

Ideas for a better size blower?

the cfm is cubic feet per minute or a rateing of air forced thru fan if its not enuf go with a fan that has a greater cfm rateing probably 150-200 cfm . good luck and let me know how you like the water cooled side draft forge... i have tried a side draft forge and found it hard to use ..anyway good luck!

I was going to suggest the dust collection blower that I saw at HF yesterday.

HF Blower

But If I were buying one, for the $50. difference, I would go with Grant's. It is flanged and has the volume control built into it. It's built for the job. My guess is they are both Chinese. Grant can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

There are basically three kinds of blowers; squirrel cage, radial blade, and positive displacement.

A positive displacement blower is mostly used in high volume and high pressure (7 PSI is high pressure for a blower) industrial applications like aeration at a sewerage treatment plant. They work like a gear pump works and cost very big bucks.

The squirrel cage and radial blade are the two that are most used in blacksmithing.

The squirrel cage is so named because the spinning blade resembles the exercise wheel in a rodent’s cage. They come in all sizes from just a few CFM in a hairdryer to thousands of CFM in HVAC systems. They are designed to move air through systems that have very little or no resistance to air movement.

The problem with this kind of blower is that it can’t overcome very much static pressure. If you put your hand over the exhaust of one of these you will feel no pressure. If it is a direct drive blower, the motor will speed up because it is no longer moving any air. So even if you get one that is say 200 CFM, and think you are blowing that volume through a forge tuyere or a pile of coke or a gas manifold you are not even coming close.

The best blowers to use in blacksmithing are the radial blade type (also called centrifugal blowers) because they can overcome static pressure. All hand crank forge blowers are of this type.

The point is to stop concentrating on the output (CFM) of the blower and look at the operating pressures. You don’t need as much volume as you think to run a forge but you do need to get it where it needs to be.

Should say on the label. The 164 has a flange on the output and the 110 just has a tubular output.

To add to what ciladog said, there are three kinds of centrifugal blowers; radial, forward slanted and backward slanted. The backward slanted move the most volume at the lowest pressure and are usually very quiet. The radial generally have the best pressure/lowest volume and can be quite noisy (and in fact it's the same way some sirens are made). I like the forward slanting type because they put out decent pressure and volume and are pretty quiet. Mine, of course are of the latter design.

• 3 weeks later...

ive just bought a bouncy castle blower off ebay for 25 quid (gbp) hasnt arrived yet as im well snowed in do any of you guys use the fans/blowers?? , id love to get your oppinions on them ,, the guy i work for uses them and his seems to work a treat ,,
ive tried a hairdryer and me mate has brought home 4 central heating boiler fans but they just dont have the pressure ,
i will keep you informed as to how well she goes , i know its a 400watter but i dont have a slide valve yet,, i would prefer if there was a way to control the fan with a rheostat or something but arent they quite expensive?? if anyone knows a decent way to adjust the flow let me know ,,
thanks guys and merry chrimbo!!

i think thats the one i just bought !! well hopefully im sorted for a meager 25 quid inc delivery (if it ever gets here) think im definately gonna need a slide valve ,,i will box one in college asap
im using coke at home and at college and the good old euro side blast, i can just get to a welding heat with my hairdryer ....eventually but i just want the power!! heat larger stock, less wastage etc
btw that is a sweet little multi forge station thingy going on there quite impressive ;) i kind of want one ,, but i have absolutely no need ,, id love a go on one tho looks quite social ! you tell your mate when hes burnin !! and hes got your back too ,, reminds me of sitting round the dinner table !!! well good

Yeh, it was a brilliant bit of kit. Not to mention the circle of anvils around it. You would look at what the bloke next to you was doing and give it a go or vice versa. A very social way to forge and learn.

If you are only running one forge station off it you will need a gate valve and a speed controller on the motor.

Funny thing about squirrel cage blowers is that wasting some air can improve delivered CFM and system pressure. If you are stuck with an anemic squirrel cage blower, it may be worth the effort to try a waste gate valve of some type before deciding the blower is unacceptable. On commercial products like electric inflaters a small hole drilled in the side of the tube is a typical arrangement.

If spending good money...why set yourself up for failure?

That multi-station forge looks like just the thing for a hammer in.

Phil

thanks for the info guys!! im sure the valves we use in college release air around the slider thing, so i guess there will be some wastage of air i could always whack a little hole in the side of me tube to see if that helps and if not just seal it back up ,,
is there a cheaper way to control the electricity rather than a rheostat they seem to be like 80 quid!!??
the old lighting dimmer switch didnt work on the hairdryer motor or the central heating boiler fans :(
thanks again guys

thanks for the info guys!! im sure the valves we use in college release air around the slider thing, so i guess there will be some wastage of air i could always whack a little hole in the side of me tube to see if that helps and if not just seal it back up ,,
is there a cheaper way to control the electricity rather than a rheostat they seem to be like 80 quid!!??
the old lighting dimmer switch didnt work on the hairdryer motor or the central heating boiler fans :(
thanks again guys

I think you will find that Dimmer switches only work on motors with brushes in, get one with a big enough rating

I think you will find that Dimmer switches only work on motors with brushes in, get one with a big enough rating

so is that like a rheostat type thing?? and is it expensive? or am i looking for a dimmer witha high wattage rating or something ?
thanks again guys

the bouncy castle fan is brushed or not?? i dont know the hairdryer is and the boiler fans were brushless i dont know what this is although they seem to have chunky motors whacked on the side :blink:

Get a fan speed controller switch. I picked one up for about $20. It gives three speeds.

hang about one quick blast in ebay and there is these it says 400 watts do you reckon this will do the trick??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-FAN-SPEED-CONTROLLER-400W-/330499423907?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item4cf34cfea3