I Forge Iron

Manifolding Tanks

kraythe

I have three tanks that I would like to manifold together to create one large tank. I bought the appropriate copper pigtails and T junctions but when I assembled the setup, it was problematic because it started leaking propane. on the back of the collars for the pigtails (see photo). I thought it might have been that one pigtail got slightly bent (that stuff is soft as heck) but even with a perfectly undamaged section I had the same problem. Last thing I want is propane pooling on the floor of my shop. That doesnt sound very ... uhh ... healthy.

Any ideas on why I am getting those leaks and how I can make this happen?

post-15449-0-16576200-1290365170_thumb.j

I don't know if this will help, but my brother is a master gas fitter. He told me that he always, without fail, puts pipe dope on ferules. I also wonder if they are just not tight enough. As an additional aside, whenever I make up propane manifolds, I use iron pipe.

If you are using ferules on your pipe remember they are designed for water pressure which in most areas is 40-45 PSI your tank pressures are much greater. You would be much beter off having some short propane lines made up or better yet braided lines. After the cost of setting up your system for a few more bucks you might just look at a 100lb tank.

I agree to use flares... we never used compression fittings on gas lines. Iron pipe is best, BLACK iron as you would use for gas and then you can use a little copper (or brass)for the flexible connections... but unregulated propane (full pressure) should have iron pipe or heavy wall copper or brass solid tube (not flex or soft tube). Pipe dope is good for flare fittings too.

All fittings should be pressure tested and soaped before being charged with gas... tanks too.

That looks like one of Zoeller's manifolds. Is it leaking from the soldered joint, or from the tank? There is an o ring in the tank valve IIRC that seals against the brass, but you need to tighten the brass well WITH A PROPER WRENCH on both the Tee and fitting, and on the tank. The Tee is a brass cone against a brass ball, and if there is any debris in the joint it will not seal. Likewise if there is too much misalignment it will not seal. Tighten the tee by hand loosely, then wiggle the ball and tighten fully.

I had a time getting my manifold kit to work and seal the first time. I wiped everything down with a clean rag and used 2 good quality (not worn out and sloppy) adjustable wrenches and everything worked fine afterwards. I decided it was the sloppy wrench I was using that was the root of my problems.

Phil

I have a question that relates to this one guys. I have a 100# and a grill tank. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to manifold these together. i don't really see a point to hook them together, but I got to thinking if it would be safe to do it, with the larger tank holding more gas than the grill tank, i would guess it would have a higher pressure and if I'm right then not sure if it is safe to do so.

what do you guys think?

I don't manifold my 100 and 25 tanks together. I use the 100 and when it runs out I switch to the small one and can continue working until I can get the big one re-filled.

(I once was sent on a rescue mission, two green mudloggers had opened the valves on *both* small tanks on their unit instead of just one and then proceeded to get marooned on site, (corvettes and oilfield roads and *snow/ice* don't make a good mix), So *both* tanks went empty at the same time leaving them with no heat. So my 1968 ex phone company van was sent out to bring them more propane and some food and read them the riot act over using *one* tank leaving the other as backup...had to pull my van out of the ditch 3 or 4 times using a come along 40' or wire rope and a 25' log chain...Boy they were green...)