I Forge Iron

friction welding

NM Tech is home to Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center, EMRTC, and so the campus is will decorated with explosive art: repousee and explosive welding!

My office also shakes several times a week when they light one off behind the mountain on a test pad.

May I commend to your attention "Solid Phase Welding of Metals", Tylecote

Curiosity question, the extra molten metal on the outside is milled off, what about the inside? Or does centrifugal force take care of it and force everything outward?

I believe that is a drill rod for water or oil wells, and a small ridge of material on the inside is of no consequence as a controlled mixture of mud is pumped through it.

Very cool videos.

Phil

I've been to an EMRTC open house where they did a 1 oz letter bomb, a 2 oz briefcase bomb, (both plastique), an improvised munition and 400 pounds of ANFO in a car---great fun!

Also they started a tradition where graduating seniors at NM Tech could blow up books/old course work/stripped computers---and my Daughter graduated last spring and invited me to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you upset pipe you'll see that all of the forces are outward - automatically.

Grant, now that you mentioned it, I can see how it would go outwards. If it went inwards it would actually have to shrink into a smaller circle. That would create more resistance than moving to the outside. Cool.