I Forge Iron

Here are some photos of my restored Nazel 2B. Serial #1284. It was originally sold in 1929. I bought it from an industrial forge shop I worked at, in Philadelphia, that shut down. I replaced the ram ring, cushion plug, cushion plug bushing, and rebuilt the studs for the ram collar. At some point in it's history someone had shocked the collar, and cracked out several studs. The ram guides were restored, as well as the leather seal. I also rebuilt the two control valves, that I showed on the Nazel Hammer Valve post. All of the linkage and rods were, tightened up and rebuilt, and the valve timing was corrected. When I first powered up the hammer, it would not draw up into the housing, like it is supposed to. All that is corrected now, and the machine works extremely well. Good control and power. On the piston side I rebuilt the connecting rod bushing, the piston rings, and the wrist pin. Work was also done tightening the two main bushings up. The main fly wheel gear teeth were striped out, and the main crank shaft has the slightest bend in it so I ellected to set it up as a clutch belt drive. The clutch arm takes the play of the crank shaft, instead of the stress going to the bearings. This also enables an easy start for the 3 phase motor. Almost every part had to be rebuilt to some extent. This was a huge investment of time and money over a period of about 5 years. I will post a video of it in action at a later date.

post-6592-095334900 1286844272_thumb.jpg

post-6592-012147900 1286844360_thumb.jpg

post-6592-090769400 1286844292_thumb.jpg

post-6592-070796300 1286844307_thumb.jpg

post-6592-093684500 1286844326_thumb.jpg

post-6592-019571800 1286844421_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments.

Fosterob, there is no doubt in my mind this machine could handle a 3" bar. I will do something big in the video.
After all the first thing I did with it was forge a vase out of a piece 3" by 4", 6" tall.
I don't know who said that, but I forged 1" by 3" , ON EDGE, with the little 35 lb. Champion #0 seen in the bottom picture. Many times.
2B denotes a 200 lb. size hammer. I have been a full time blacksmith since I was 16. I am now 30. In all that time 95% of the power hammer work that I did was on trip hammers. My only air hammer experience was a 100 lb. Khun. What blows my mind about the Nazel is not only the power of the blow, but the squeeze it gives with each blow. The original Nazel hammer book describes it as a clinging blow. Other litature I found described it as a kneading type blow. It forges 3" material, and it will move it at an orange heat, but like any hammer it will move it at faster at a yellow heat.

I just wanted to throw out there that 2b does not indicate a 200lb hammer. The nazel numbers do no coralate with weight. A 1b is around 80 lbs a 2 B around 160 a 3b about 265 and A 4b is 500 a 5b is about 700-ish a 6b around 1000lbs and a 7b is 1500. Those numbers are rough and from memory other than I know the ram in my 3b is 265 lbs with the die

Anyone have the "real" numbers? Nazel did not put it in the cut sheet info, only the "rated steam weight"

Monstermetal, yes the 2 in 2B does not exactly stand for 200. I am aware that the ram does not weigh 200, as well. I have a copy of the Nazel book and all they say is the "steam rated" size. I figure with the steam rating being 250 and the ram weighing 160 to 180, it is safe to rate it around a 200 lb. hammer.
I need to replace the leather seal soon so when I pull the ram I will weigh it. I put a "new" leather seal cut from some old leather material I had on hand, and now that I have run the hammer in a bit it is leaking.

• 3 months later...

Here is a video of the hammer in action. The chunck is 2" by 3" scrap, 4" long. It is 14" long at the end of the heat. You'll notice the top die is short I plan on making a new die the correct height, this will also alow me to set the anvil lower and increase the stroke from 9 1/2" to the factory 12". The clacking sound you hear is the belt drive. A bit noisier than usual, but necessary, because the gear teath are stripped out on this hammer.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a video of the hammer in action. The chunck is 2" by 3" scrap, 4" long. It is 14" long at the end of the heat. You'll notice the top die is short I plan on making a new die the correct height, this will also alow me to set the anvil lower and increase the stroke from 9 1/2" to the factory 12". The clacking sound you hear is the belt drive. A bit noisier than usual, but necessary, because the gear teath are stripped out on this hammer.

Over here in Baton Rouge, LA, I know where a Nazel 2B is just sitting in front of a shop on a concrete pad. The guy has no want to ever restore or use it. But it belonged to his dad. It is slowly rusting away. Plus, that thing is huge. If anybody is interested, I will get his contact info for ya. Someone may know how to connect with him.

Awesome hammer in a lovely shop wink.gif
It seems that the dies faces are not parallel as your work always turn to a 'banana' pointing to the right. I hope it comes from worn dies and dissapear when you'll change them otherwise the anvil might have tilted a bit to the right...
It beautifully handles 3" stock biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to throw out there that 2b does not indicate a 200lb hammer. The nazel numbers do no coralate with weight. A 1b is around 80 lbs a 2 B around 160 a 3b about 265 and A 4b is 500 a 5b is about 700-ish a 6b around 1000lbs and a 7b is 1500. Those numbers are rough and from memory other than I know the ram in my 3b is 265 lbs with the die

Anyone have the "real" numbers? Nazel did not put it in the cut sheet info, only the "rated steam weight"

As per conversation with Bruce Wallace some ten years ago.

light heavy
1B 65 75
2B 165 200
3B 250 300
4B 350 425
5B 600 760
6B 800 1000 (speculation on my part, but at that point who cares..it hits hard)

Ric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

biggrin.gif
I have always wanted an original copy of the Nazel Hammer Book. Well today my old boss gave me one. It is a fantastic piece of early forging literature. No, it is not for sale.
The graphic on the cover was embossed. Shows you that in 1927 a catalog was a companies face not a web site.

attachicon.gifIMG_20110420_212659.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20110420_212747.jpg

hi there 

is it posible to get a photo without hands? i have a 2b in Denmark and havng a hard time to find indformation about the hammer? 

kindly