I Forge Iron

Think I'm going to be sick again

Well, I just had to share my shock at a resent auction I had gone to. The paper had listed a business going out in my area and the auction was planned for last week. Well, I don't usually like those things prefering to just buy whatever on a one on one basis. They had listed some blacksmithing tools and a few small anvils a post vise and a "400lbs ANVIL" well I had to see that!! didn't need anything really but you don't see those very often, around here anyway. Turns out I was sick as a dog that day but I dragged myself over just the same.....you know what I mean. Any way after much looking around there was this huge anvil sitting on the floor in the office area. It was all that weight no doubt about it. Thing is it was a mess, the top looked like the surface of the moon it had so many pock marks and pitting. It was painted black and must have been just for display as the other anvils were in use in the shop area but not this one. Couldn't find a name on it either and not exactly something you move around much as it was in the corner. I can just imagine what it would take to make that top flat again. Anyway I decided I didn't feel good enough to hang around all day at an auction just to see someone pay too much for it so, back to my shop I went. Just found out it went for $40 BUCKS!!!Now I feel sick again :blink: !!! I would have paid that easy, even with all of the work it needed...goes to show you never know whats going to happen at an auction. I'm staying all day next time.

autions are amazing things. you can find something you want and no one else either knows what it is or wants it, and you are the only bidder. it those cases your opening bid never gets challenged. and we all know you start bidding at an outrageously low bid. on the other hand there is an anvil on pristene shape with all of us blacksmiths at the auction and it ends in a bidding war. at tht point it is no longer about a good deal it is about the bragging rights of winning the the coveted item.

Ive seen a large drill press in excellent condition go for $40 to a kidas well as a small china made tea set go for over $100 to a little old lady. auctions are amazing and sickening at the same time.

There was an auction a couple weeks ago that is just a hop skip and a jump from where my house that i was interested in going to. There was a section on the sale bill with blacksmithing equipment and other shop tools. They advertised a large anvil (no weight listed so it is anyones guess what the auction company defines as large) a portable forge and other blacksmith tools. Top billing on the sale bill was antiques. I was planning on going but some pressing matters came up that prevented me from going....that was probably a good thing since my anvil fund is underfunded at the moment....I am trying to convince myself that the anvil and other tools were probably in terrible shape and the antique collectors that were there bid the prices through the roof so I didn't miss out on a great deal....that is what I am trying to convince myself anyway. Fortunately I don't know of anyone who went to the auction so they can't tell me there were great tools that sold for a song....so as far as I am convinced they were in rough shape and bought by some little old lady for an obscene price to put in her flower garden....that is my delusion and I am sticking to it. :blink:

My uncle went to an auction once to buy some shelving and racks for his garage. Instead of buying 1 row of shelves and 1 row of racks, he bought 10 rows or each, rented a storage unit and 10 years later liquidated the metal as scrap to save the storage fees.

Auctions are a crazy thing. Go with a list and a budget, and stick to it more so than going to the grocery store!

Phil

Remember what ol' Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back; something may be gaining on you."

I paid 900 for my 375 pounder and its not flat

do i regret it? nope

I try not to think of all the girls... that I had, or could of had

then I realize they are all out there to be had.

if your looking for them they are looking for you, anvils are the same way
I just hope that they dont fall on top of me like a drunken pixie.

how the heck do you guys find these auctions. I have tried all the major auctioneers in denver and I have never seen any blacksmithing stuff whatsoever.

small auctions, and farm/feed that host auctions. if there is a lot of useoless items and rusty stuff, hang around. if not it's 50/50

I do better off of Craigslist myself. For every auction I've been to where stuff went cheap I had to sit through 10 where stuff was WAY overpriced.

When I would go I used to call the auctioneer and ask "how many people did it take to lift it?" That would generally get me in the ballpark on how heavy it was.

Probably 90%+ of the items in my machine shop came from auctions. I was generally paying .10 on the dollar for machine tools. I also spent a lot of time at DRMO auctions at various military bases-before they went internet. I have gotten some smoking deals on various items over the years.

I picked up my 306# Sodefors anvil with stand for $250 at a machine shop auction.

Set a limit, and stick to it. Do your homework ahead of time,although I have made some snap decisions that paid off; a pallet of medical supplies for $12.50. Sold the sutures alone for $320 B)