I Forge Iron

blown gasoline forge

junker

Heck I drive a gasoline burner to work ever day.

Gasoline forge? check this out.

http://steampunkwork...gasoline-burner

Wow!! That is pretty cool but a lot of work for just a pre-heater. At the beginning of the first video he says its just to preheat the furnace for his waste oil injection to be added later. :wacko: Gotta love that steampunk stuff :D

I would look at oil / diesel over gasoline. Safer, cheaper, safer, easier, safer,and did I mention safer?

Why not just get the burner off of a steam cleaner? The one I have burns kerosene, and blew the spray through a transformer arc. The blower, fuel pump, and the igniter are all one compact unit. We put diesel in it one time when it ran out of kerosene, and it burned hotter. Although trying to start it later cold on just diesel just produced lots of smoke, and never really got going.

With veggie oil conversions, the oil is heated first (165 degrees) to get the viscosity down, then burned.

My 01 Cummins only has a manifold heater to preheat the air , not the fuel.

Pre heat is the point of the gasoline burning first in the steam punk design. Blowing atomized oil into a redhot forge will effectively heat the oil, instant ignition.

I dunno about being so skeptical of the safety of this thing.

After all I see people with weedeaters on their shoulder all the time, and the gas is in a PLASTIC tank introduced into the motor via a really cheap plastic tube, oh yeah made in China by the way.

it's just a case of good plumbing practise seems to me.

Like said, I was just remembering what Dad told me. I'm older than he was when he told me ;) , but that makes sense now that you mention it, Ken. But the fuel is being heated before the engine runs if "there is no fuel being pumped while the plugs are heating." I do know that without the fuel being warmed it won't ignite easily without compression or atomization. This is why the fuel in a jet engine burning JP5 (basically high grade fuel oil with a higher flash point than JP4) has to be heated before it is introduced to the already compressed air in the combustion stage and subsequent turbine. (Not a diesel mech but I was a jet mech)
I wasn't aware of the atomization of the thinner fuel oil in a (commercially made ?) furnace but I was mainly referring to a waste oil burner in a home made forge. Waste oil would be much thicker than fuel oil and difficult to atomize by the backyard forge builder. We're still talking forges right? Sorry for going too OT.
Scott :)
Hi Scott,Yes to commercial burner. A 50yr old Lenox. On my mitsubishi tractor
No fuel is heated. Glow plugs just provide a red hot spot to help the compression heat. Once the engine is warn it starts without the plugs. Some of the Yanmars use a fuel heater or compresion realese insted of glow plugs.
Ken.

Hi Scott,Yes to commercial burner. A 50yr old Lenox. On my mitsubishi tractor
No fuel is heated. Glow plugs just provide a red hot spot to help the compression heat. Once the engine is warn it starts without the plugs. Some of the Yanmars use a fuel heater or compresion realese insted of glow plugs.
Ken.

A fair number of engines use compression release or unload to get RPM up while starting. This is not just limited to diesel engines. On all the diesel engines I have been around with compression unload they still had glow plugs. I admit to not being around very many diesel engines though.

A BMW 1 lung 6 horsepower on a racing sail boat I used to crew on was equipped with unload and a glow plug. We would hand crank start it because the battery was set up for only the instruments. Proved very entertaining the year that the motor wouldn't start most tries...we got very good at docking under sail.

Phil

A BMW 1 lung 6 horsepower on a racing sail boat I used to crew on was equipped with unload and a glow plug. We would hand crank start it because the battery was set up for only the instruments. Proved very entertaining the year that the motor wouldn't start most tries...we got very good at docking under sail.

Phil

That and picking up a mooring under sail are skills most people seriously underestimate.One of the things that separates the committed sailors from the week end rental crowd.
The week enders are more entertaining to watch though. :)

Home heating furnaces don't pre-heat the oil. Having used oil forges I will say they are far better than gas forges. Much hotter and they burn with a brilliant white flame, just like you want the walls in a gas forge. Far less scaling and were always the preferred forge for welding.

All that aside, I wouldn't have one in my shop! They stink, they smoke until they get hot and the entire shop becomes coated in a sooty black ooze. Now the up side of that is you don't see rusty tools in a shop running oil forges!

Back to an earlier reply: I start my blown propane forge with the blower OFF. You get a large plume of burning gas out the front port and I then start the blower and tune it to get the best burn.

If the power goes off you switch back to the propane plume---which is actually probably less of a hazard than the dragon's breath you get from when the blower is on as it's *hotter* and *INVISIBLE*!

• 4 years later...

Glenn,

They still make gasoline blow torches used in China and the former USSR (Russia + everyone else) since it is much easier to get gas than Propane. They are not safe by OHSA standards of say 1970 but they use them for the same reason that people use anything else, they ain't got nothing else.

I agree, ending up as the human fireball is a bad thing.

Ernest

Let me throw in a word of CAUTION here. Pressurized and flammable fuels do not play well with open flames or ignition sources. Put them in a closed container and it adds another level of excitement.

They no longer make pressurized out board motor fuel containers, plumbers blow torches, and several other gasoline related items for a reason. Please, use caution and play safe.

One other thing about the liquid fueled torches. Some were kerosene/ liquid paraffin. These are less energetic than gas and have a lower BOOM potential. Safe, not by our postindustrial revolution standards. I would not mess with it unless you have someone that knows their stuff and not only from YouTube.