I Forge Iron

soldering small steel sculpture?

I am in Asheville N.C. & my tools are in storage in Ohio, normally I would weld steel but I don't have my tools so not being too experienced at soldering I was wondering before investing in a torch, solder etc... whether it would be possible to solder say a clean r.r. spike to say 24 gauge sheet steel to make say butterflies & dragonflies for ornaments (like yard art)I could ship my little lincoln 110 gassless down here but hate risking it getting damaged or lost anyhow thx for the input!

I am in Asheville N.C. & my tools are in storage in Ohio, normally I would weld steel but I don't have my tools so not being too experienced at soldering I was wondering before investing in a torch, solder etc... whether it would be possible to solder say a clean r.r. spike to say 24 gauge sheet steel to make say butterflies & dragonflies for ornaments (like yard art)I could ship my little lincoln 110 gassless down here but hate risking it getting damaged or lost anyhow thx for the input!

Could you not drill and rivet the wings to the spike? You could countersink and make the rivets flush on the spike, or leave them as a feature.

Thats what I was thinking, but i was trying to do the project on the cheap, I may just hafta try it, not like a plumbers torch & solder is that big an investment & will prolly use it for other things later on.... i mean if it was some kinda tool i was making i wouldnt even consider it but for a butterfly thats gonna stick in the ground or hang on a fence i thought it might be ok. does anyone have any tips on types of solder & flux or tips on technique being the most soldering i ever did was low temp silver bearing solder on knife bolsters about 15 years ago, usually i just weld & grind everything whether it needs it or not :)I really appreciate the input :D

You can silver solder or braze over charcoal bricketts in a hibotchi and you won't need a blast, not even a hair drier. A bag of Kingston costs way less than a torch that'll do the job.

Not that I'm recommending you NOT get a tool if you've come up with a good excuse of course. ;) Oh HEAVENS NO, not me! B)

Frosty the Lucky.

Hi We met a few weeks ago at smileys. I have shipped in a $3500 plasma cutter from Calif. If ya are worried about damage or loss Ins is cheap. UPS broke a new digital drillpress coming from Chicago. Got paid for a new one and got to keep the broken one.
Ken.