I Forge Iron

My First Ever Forge Project

cvmikeray

Well this is my first forge project. I had great fun with it and spent a few hours on it. I had to figure out my little forge and keeping my fire right. But I got it worked out. This piece made itself. I just worked the 1/2 inch square stock until this came out of it. My wife wants it mounted by the sink in the kitchen to hang her hand towels on. I now have been commissioned to make her several sets of curtain holders for some of the windows in the house !!! The other items are a Dogwood Challis I made on my wood lathe and the bowl is a piece I made on the lathe using Spinning. See Brian and Lyle I was paying attention last weekend at the AFC Conference :)

post-14791-045242200 1284645590_thumb.jp

post-14791-013271900 1284645641_thumb.jp

post-14791-086178100 1284645645_thumb.jp

post-14791-013207900 1284645649_thumb.jp

I am glad she likes my work. As far as spinning, no I am still learning. I am making my tools and dies for it when I get time. I have been focused on Smithing the last few months. I'll eventually get back around to the spinning though.

My goal is to pull the three crafts together and make some really cool ideas I have come to life.

I got to see how hot my little forge gets last night. I was making the first piece for my wife and was not paying attention to my work. I had drawn out the piece maybe double its length and all was going well. I stuck it back in not thinkning that I have made the material half it's orginal size and melted a who section of the end off of it... Had to start over. I guess I know now I have enough heat to weld :) ....