I Forge Iron

Upsetting tongs

Nakedanvil - Grant Sarver

Hi Grant,
Thats a snappy looking set-up that you have there' old but still gets a good job done, like so many of us I suppose? Do you sell tongs? to have the need for the upset die for this aplication? Sorry dumb question, I have just looked at you profile,Duh as my son would say!
Regards Ian

Thanks for the video Grant,it's great to see old machines put to good use. The heated bars seem to come out of the induction coil with two distinct heated areas, is the coil set up to heat two areas where the upsetting is to occur?

Cheers Ian Ross

Thanks for the video Grant,it's great to see old machines put to good use. The heated bars seem to come out of the induction coil with two distinct heated areas, is the coil set up to heat two areas where the upsetting is to occur?

Cheers Ian Ross

Yeah, another nice thing about the induction, By varying the spacing of the turns I can get more heat in one area than another. Only use a high heat where I need it. Allows me to get a reverse gradient on the end too. You don't want the very end upsetting first and having to push that swell through the die.

hey Grant
We have a little sullivan that I got tired of trying to refurbish so I stuck it in the corner of the profile-atorium (where we keep the profile cutter) you have just given me a good use for the hammer part though, (it always worked fine, it was the leather diaphram on the gripper that caused us grief).
Recently picked up another upsetter from a railway quarry up north, I'll have to have a go at getting it to go.
Now I have 5 upsetters comprising of 3 machines and 2 kids (they upsett their mum as they wont keep their rooms clean).

post-5537-088514400 1283994344_thumb.jpg

post-5537-025648600 1283994492_thumb.jpg