I Forge Iron

lincoln buzzbox

I got a welder in my miniscule shop today.

I've been talking to myfamily about looking for a good welder and my grandmother told me to take my late grandfathers welder home with me.

I had to run about 80 feet of wire put in a new 50 amp breaker and an outlet. Now my new/old lincoln ac-225 welder is in my shop and work like a champ. Now I know i would be happier with a ac/dc welder or a wire type welder, but this one was free and now my granddads tools won't rust away from non-use.

I bought mine new in '76 and then a few years ago I bought a new wire feed Lincoln unit but I find myself using the older unit more often, it does heavy plate better, penetrated deeper, quicker. If my back felt better I would probably get used to new one quicker but I don't do or at least didn't do that much small gage stuff but might now. One does get older. <_<
That unit should serve you well for a good long while, give a prayer of thanks to your grandpa. ;)

later this year or early next year, I'm going to buy a wire type welder, and I'm looking at a harbour freight flux core welder they have them pretty cheap. those welders have a descent duty cycle for a home welder 45% I know a brand name welder would serve me better, but all I need it a small project welder for now. I will eventually get a good brand name mig setup and a tig capable stick welder, but those are several years off.

I will check craigslist for a brand name welders, but the HF welder im looking at is a 110v 45% dutycycle hobbyist flux core only welder for only $100. I will eventually get a heavy duty(larger percentage dutycycle) brand name mig welder, but I want to get it new when I get the money to do so. I do most of my metal work without welds if possible anyway.

your probably right phil, and since I have 6-18 months before I get a wire welder, who knows i might just say to hell with it and go straight for the new mig setup.

I will check craigslist for a brand name welders, but the HF welder im looking at is a 110v 45% dutycycle hobbyist flux core only welder for only $100. I will eventually get a heavy duty(larger percentage dutycycle) brand name mig welder, but I want to get it new when I get the money to do so. I do most of my metal work without welds if possible anyway.

your probably right phil, and since I have 6-18 months before I get a wire welder, who knows i might just say to hell with it and go straight for the new mig setup.

Ya got one thing missing. AMPS. Duty cycle goes up when amps go down. As low as 60 amps. They do ok for light sheet metal. Save your money get a branded Mig. You'll be happer.
Ken.

Don't forget about auctions.

Linde UCC-305 350 amp Tig/Arc $250+ $160 for a new foot control (they had only done arc with it), and I believe it was $125 for the Tig torch.

Miller MP-65E, 650 amp mig. $900, and there was probably that much in silicon bronze, aluminum, and other wire that came with it.

MillerMatic 200 $400 ready to go with extras.

Lincoln 250 mig $400 ready to go with tank of 75/25.

Get a good welder from the start. Crappy welders only cause you aggravation. Double/triple that $100, and you can get a decent smaller used name brand off CL. Don't get too hung up on duty rating. I have rarely exceeded the duty rating of my little 110V SP-100 Lincoln, and I have done a ton of welding with it. It isn't often that welder is running maxed out for any length of time. Of course I am not spray arcing .0625" aluminum with it like I did with the MP-65E.

I wouldn't touch those 'gasless MIG' machines for anything; they have all of the disadvantages of MIG (complicated electronics, easily worn/damaged feed mechanisms and torch, the wire goes rusty if not used frequently etc.) and don't have the main advantage (no flux). They are intended only for minor DIY use and you'd be lucky if it lasted long enough to use more than a couple of the stupidly expensive rolls of wire.

I have a lincoln buzz box and love it. Started out with the AC only version and later upgraded to a AD/DC model. I pretty much leave it on DC all the time, but the AC only machines are good too. You probably know this already, but if you want to run 7018 you should look for 7018-AC. I also have a Craftsman 110v MIG with gas that I use a lot too - It's a good quality machine that you can get parts for and has a good reputation.

As for the Harbor Freight (HF) models, I'd have to agree - save your money and buy a 110v Lincoln or Craftsman (a bit harder to find) if you want something that will last and can be repaired. The HF models do work (my dad owns one and I've used it), but it seems that with just about any HF tool there's a gamble factor involved. You may get one that lasts the rest of your life, but you may also get one that goes 'poof' after a few spools like Sam said.

I got a welder in my miniscule shop today.

I've been talking to myfamily about looking for a good welder and my grandmother told me to take my late grandfathers welder home with me.

I had to run about 80 feet of wire put in a new 50 amp breaker and an outlet. Now my new/old lincoln ac-225 welder is in my shop and work like a champ. Now I know i would be happier with a ac/dc welder or a wire type welder, but this one was free and now my granddads tools won't rust away from non-use.

I have that exact same machine - 225AC - bought it new in 1982. I still use it regularly and built 3 pole barns with it over the years. Those machines are almost bullet-proof and will last for several generations - just don't switch them under load while welding and spray the guts with contact cleaner followed by WD40 every few years (keeps the bug debris to a manageable level). They are kind of like a shark...the perfect design.

I wouldn't touch those 'gasless MIG' machines for anything; they have all of the disadvantages of MIG (complicated electronics, easily worn/damaged feed mechanisms and torch, the wire goes rusty if not used frequently etc.) and don't have the main advantage (no flux). They are intended only for minor DIY use and you'd be lucky if it lasted long enough to use more than a couple of the stupidly expensive rolls of wire.

I am going to disagree. Flux core typically gets better penetration at the same amps as gas shield. It is more messy with sputter balls and rough raw surface finish than gas shield.

I DO agree that you should not limit your self to one process and get a machine that cannot run gas. Make sure the machine you get is capable of running gas shield, even if the regulator is a separate item to purchase. Some people never use gas, and some people always use gas, and both people will produce sound welds suitable for the task they are performing.

Phil

I am going to disagree. Flux core typically gets better penetration at the same amps as gas shield. It is more messy with sputter balls and rough raw surface finish than gas shield.

I DO agree that you should not limit your self to one process and get a machine that cannot run gas. Make sure the machine you get is capable of running gas shield, even if the regulator is a separate item to purchase. Some people never use gas, and some people always use gas, and both people will produce sound welds suitable for the task they are performing.

Phil

Phil,I think you`ll find that dual shield will produce a much better quality weld than flux core alone.The right shield gas acts as both a fluxing and shielding agent and also will help the wire to jump up to spray transfer at a lower amperage if you use a mix.
Like different types of wire different shield gases and mixes have different applications where they work best and wires that they work best with.
The only real advantage of flux core alone and without shield gas is that you can weld nasty steel during a stiff breeze,but not too stiff.

If you are talking about those 110 toys they try to pass off as welders then all bets are off.Those things were designed for auto body and tin knocking and shouldn`t be considered for welding anything above heavy sheet metal.Buy one to weld something structural and the joke`s on you.

Phil,I think you`ll find that dual shield will produce a much better quality weld than flux core alone.The right shield gas acts as both a fluxing and shielding agent and also will help the wire to jump up to spray transfer at a lower amperage if you use a mix.
Like different types of wire different shield gases and mixes have different applications where they work best and wires that they work best with.
The only real advantage of flux core alone and without shield gas is that you can weld nasty steel during a stiff breeze,but not too stiff.

If you are talking about those 110 toys they try to pass off as welders then all bets are off.Those things were designed for auto body and tin knocking and shouldn`t be considered for welding anything above heavy sheet metal.Buy one to weld something structural and the joke`s on you.

Let's not forget ya can run fluxcore with gas. Built motion theaters for a while. .045 fluxcore with 75/25 with a miller 450 wide open. Looked like tig.
Ken.

the discussion was orininally about my lincoln 225 ac welder I got from my gradparents, and my intention to get a wire welder in the future. I'm just considering the chicago electric wire welders being sold by harbour freight, or save longer and get a lincoln wirefeed welder that is adaptable to a mig. then these guys started ading in their two cents and the converation started drifting...no big deal, I like to see where they end up, besides I got the info I needed already..lol

ok guys continue, mig welder with shield gas, running flux core wire. sounds interesting tell me more.

the discussion was orininally about my lincoln 225 ac welder I got from my gradparents, and my intention to get a wire welder in the future. I'm just considering the chicago electric wire welders being sold by harbour freight, or save longer and get a lincoln wirefeed welder that is adaptable to a mig. then these guys started ading in their two cents and the converation started drifting...no big deal, I like to see where they end up, besides I got the info I needed already..lol

ok guys continue, mig welder with shield gas, running flux core wire. sounds interesting tell me more.

Another 2 cents worth. Some of the small units are non switchable. Bought a little Cebora hobby mig for the wife
(yard art) Connections are hard wired(non switchable) A lot of the little flux units cannot run gas. Look around the feed rollers for the block used to switch polarity. Don't part with grandpaws. Never ran any stick with one but
with an added hi freq box welded 17 yrs piece work aluminum can't kill the old ones.
Ken.

great score on the buzz box i have a few of them i get them givin to me all the time i save them and give them to friends when they need them as for keeping them clean and dry mine has been out side for years and works fine i have one the was flooded in 1992 under salt water for 3 days still works fan went bad and the case is rusted bad but it still welds as for flux core 110 volt migs i have lincon weld pac 100 that i have had for about 18 years ran hundreds of spools of wires through it capable of welding 1/4 plate i've done it thousands of time made trailers that i have taken across the country many times welds hold up just fine