I Forge Iron

Grape Cluster Help

Use a small pan with sand in it, wet the sand with some spray despat or PAM, this will hold the sand in place some. Make an impression in the sand with the back of your fist. Place the bearings in the depression you have just made, best if you have several different sizes of bearings. Use a small rod or eequivalent to make a ground from your table to one of the bearing and then start tacking them together. I will TIG them as they don't move on me that way. This will make 1 half of a cluster. Lay a 'stem' at what you want to be the top of the cluster and tack this in place, making sure it is long enought to weld to the vine. I watched Lorilei do this and the clusters come out looking very realistic. Sorry, I don't have any pic of any I have made. I think you can see some on her site; www.blacksmithchic.com

j w, i would say that you are probably too worried about having the cluster look "perfect" if you look at real grape clusters on a vine they very greatly in size shape and symetry. just my opinion but i would say you are a getting hung up on "right" or "decent"

The above mentioned way with the sand is the easy way.
Now for the harder way and the way that takes 2 or 3 times the grapes.
It helps to have a stem welded on but then you have to grind the welds.
Start with a bottom grape and add one at a time around and up the bunch keeping the mig welds out of site till you have a bunch of grapes.

The grapes look a lot nicer in my opinion if you use about 3/4" balls but slightly put many flats on the ball. I know graps are smooth but they look better in iron with the Flat spots. Somewhere I have a picture but cant put my fingers on it at the moment.

j w, i would say that you are probably too worried about having the cluster look "perfect" if you look at real grape clusters on a vine they very greatly in size shape and symetry. just my opinion but i would say you are a getting hung up on "right" or "decent"

I agree. Whenever you are making botanical elements it's always a good idea to study what you are making. You can pick a dozen leaves off any tree and they are all different...GOD like variaty ;) Really all you need to do is "trick" the minds eye as to it being a grape cluster, or leave, or ram's head..... Don't be too critical on yourself.

Backed up and took a long look at what I had. Used 3 diffirent sized balls and varied their depth in the sand. Turned out more realistic to my eye. Got the leaves cut formed and cleaned and the vines forged. Now down to the assembly. Pics soon. Thanks everyone for your help.

John

Use a small pan with sand in it, wet the sand with some spray despat or PAM, this will hold the sand in place some. Make an impression in the sand with the back of your fist. Place the bearings in the depression you have just made, best if you have several different sizes of bearings. Use a small rod or eequivalent to make a ground from your table to one of the bearing and then start tacking them together. I will TIG them as they don't move on me that way. This will make 1 half of a cluster. Lay a 'stem' at what you want to be the top of the cluster and tack this in place, making sure it is long enought to weld to the vine. I watched Lorilei do this and the clusters come out looking very realistic. Sorry, I don't have any pic of any I have made. I think you can see some on her site; www.blacksmithchic.com

I also have seen Lorelei demo on this. It sounds like you got it figured out though. I will post a photo here for others. Sorry if the photo comes out to big. :unsure:

post-6037-020354000 1282223791_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...