I Forge Iron

Uses for disk brake rotors

Eric, They're most likely made of cast iron. Being that they are from Prius they're probably not big enough for fire pots. But you can use them to make stock stands to hold long material being forged,or heated in a forge.

Larry

How many lug bolt holes are in the rotor? It can be used as a lay-out tool. Insert the lug bolts and it can be used as a bender. There is always the use as feet for stock stands etc. You may want to nest a couple together to make up the weight needed for some projects. There are all manner of uses and possibilities. (grin)

How many lug bolt holes are in the rotor? It can be used as a lay-out tool. Insert the lug bolts and it can be used as a bender. There is always the use as feet for stock stands etc. You may want to nest a couple together to make up the weight needed for some projects. There are all manner of uses and possibilities. (grin)

Glenn, 5 lugs holes, also each has 2 smaller holes about 1/4" diameter. The hub/axle hole is about 2 1/4" diameter.

I used to use them individually as bases for my small to medium sized sculptures. I don't think they are cast iron but some kind of forged steel. <_<

Don't know about prius but the 6 my better half picked at the scrap yard are all cast iron. Tried one as a base for a dishing stand(bottom of a OX tank) popped right off. Now designated yard art bases.
Ken.

Yep, cast iron to take the heat and resist warping.

Bolt together for projects.

Are they vented, or solid rotors?

I'm guessing venting (not experienced with this stuff) - They have square cross-sectioned channels running from the edges in toward the center. Not sure how far they go in. Would that be vented? If nothing else it increases the surface area to help radiate the heat.

Yeap that's a "vented rotor" the square channels reduce the weight, radiate heat and move air like a fan. "unsprung weight" or weight below the springs is detimental to the ride quality of a car. Of corse lighter cars get beter milage and have lower material costs.
As to material, some are cast steal, some cast iron and others forged. Depends on what the engineers thought sous get the job done for the least weight and cost..
Sorry, the exmechanic is coming out.