I Forge Iron

Hofi anvil

Don't know about Hofi's but you can buy an Ozark Pattern anvil from Bob Alexander as he has the rights to sale them now. They weigh approx 275# and made from S-7. Darn good anvil, haven't used one of Hofi's but bet it is good too.

Where do I find anvils from Bob Alexander? Sorry, may be a stupid question, chalk it up to being new here. Did a good search and I find the name, but no anvils.

I have the Ozark patern anvil, I got it from Tom when he was at the Vista conference in 2003 I think it was. This is a great anvil and it is holding up nice it does not have a loud ring and great rebound, it hits back. It is an investment, but money well spent in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Years ago I was upbraided on the anvilfire forums for casting aspersions on the Hofi anvil. I did it in a way that was sort of rude, and I apologized at the time. I still question, however, and will always question the need for four (four!!) pritchel holes. The Ozark anvil is only slightly less outlandish with three. I'm sure the metallurgical properties of both anvils are excellent, but I cannot help but suspect that they are both products of people re-inventing the wheel.

Years ago I was upbraided on the anvilfire forums for casting aspersions on the Hofi anvil. I did it in a way that was sort of rude, and I apologized at the time. I still question, however, and will always question the need for four (four!!) pritchel holes. The Ozark anvil is only slightly less outlandish with three. I'm sure the metallurgical properties of both anvils are excellent, but I cannot help but suspect that they are both products of people re-inventing the wheel.

There are advantages to having a pritchel hole the size, more or less, of the hole you are punching. It makes a better job- less fettling to do afterwards. I currently have 4 anvils each with a different pritchel. If doing a lot of punching I naturally gravitate to the one with the most appropriate sized hole. I suppose the Hofi spares you that trouble.

The bolster idea is shown in Donald Streeter's book, "Professional Smithing." Streeter was a professional period hardware maker in Franklinville, New Jersey, until he retired to California. He had a bickern that I assume he altered by drilling different sized holes in it. I think it was especially useful for Streeter when welding up pintles where the pintle could be placed in the proper sized hole. This would make for less "cleanup." Using the same sized pritchel hole for any pin diameter can leave edge marks on the bearing surface of the pintle.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools