I Forge Iron

$400 powerhammer is home

I got the $400 hammer home tonight. Looks like it has a lot of potental. It is probibly a 25 lb hammer cant find any marks on it at all. Except for a modle T ford hub cap being used as a oil cap. The guy it came from had rebuilt the clutch and just about everything. Came with a motor now I have to figure out how to mount it. He has motor pullies for it but couln't find them said he would keep looking and give me a call when he finds them. All and alll I'm glad I took your advice and not wait. Have several other projects going right now so it might be a while before I get to it. But at least it's not going anywhere. Here are some better pics.

post-9934-065981100 1279680168_thumb.jpg

post-9934-007797200 1279680204_thumb.jpg

post-9934-029794900 1279680228_thumb.jpg

post-9934-074873300 1279680250_thumb.jpg

post-9934-011079600 1279680284_thumb.jpg

post-9934-070423100 1279680319_thumb.jpg

post-9934-001725000 1279680343_thumb.jpg

post-9934-009380600 1279680414_thumb.jpg

post-9934-039553000 1279680457_thumb.jpg

post-9934-065142800 1279680487_thumb.jpg

post-9934-029041600 1279680547_thumb.jpg

post-9934-005670700 1279680569_thumb.jpg

post-9934-053659400 1279680678_thumb.jpg

Hard to get a feel for size in pictures, thanks for the soda can! Now I can see that it is smaller than I was envisioning. Can't find my "Pounding Out the Profits" right now, but it could be one of the kit hammers made to fasten to a post. Looks to me like the eccentric could have once been a crank. Some clever guy came up with the current drive setup.

Great buy! This is the perfect time to slather any old bolt with penetrating oil and let it sit for weeks! (I'm usually much too in a hurry; but time helps this stuff a lot!)

Also did you ask the owner about the replacement bolts---like on the ram guide? Are they a good grade or just big box store cheapies?
Buying at a farm implement dealer may be more expensive but you will get much stronger and tougher bolts that way!

This looks like it could be a wonderful "demo" hammer, small enough to transport easily; but able to really help things along.

It looks like he has had most of the bolts apart. The new hardware did raise some concern for me too. But I think I'll get it going first then diassemble paint it and reassemble with better hardware as needed. Now I'm just glad to have it and plan on taking my time and doing it right.

Theres lots to be said for doing it right, but also a heck of a lot to be said for just bodging the thing together and getting it running soon as.

The first dozen or two hours of use will soon tell you where the time and money needs to be spent (If at all!) Please post some vids up when its licking hot metal, its such a lovely looking little thing I need to see it work! (It might be worth wrapping leather round the springs to contain them if they let go)

I recently got an anvil that must be over 300 years old, I think it actually looked suprised when I set a 3" thick damascus billet on it! , I had no real intention of using it but stepped past my 500lb anvil without thinking and used the antique! these old tools shine when put to use :D

That's a wonderful looking old machine, made fast and simple so it didn't cost an arm and leg for the farmer or local livery stable to go broke buying one. I think that I saw one like that about ten years ago up in the Black Hills of SD that a fellow was trying to refurbish but he didn't have all of the parts, well at least not all of the ones past the ram, base and spring. Dang I wish that I could remember where exactly he was, he was as old as dirt then so he most likely ain't around to worry about it anymore. You done good! :P

What size is the shaft on the motor and do you need a motor pulley with setscrew or woodruff key? If woodruff key, what width?

Reason I ask is I am working on building my first spring helv and bought a box full of pulleys a little while ago - I have a couple dozen motor pulleys and could mail you the one you need (I'm pretty darn sure I have one that will meet your needs) - all I'd be interrested in return is postage (small flat rate box is what, $5?)

Eric

What size is the shaft on the motor and do you need a motor pulley with setscrew or woodruff key? If woodruff key, what width?

Reason I ask is I am working on building my first spring helv and bought a box full of pulleys a little while ago - I have a couple dozen motor pulleys and could mail you the one you need (I'm pretty darn sure I have one that will meet your needs) - all I'd be interrested in return is postage (small flat rate box is what, $5?)

Eric

The shaft is 3/4 with a key way but a set screw might work too. The clutch runs a 4in belt the guy I got the hammer from said the ones he had but couldn't find were around 3in in diameter. Send me a pic of what you have and we can go from there. Went out and measured the keyway and looks like 3/8

Not for sure but the more I look at it I think It may have had the concentic shaft and clutch assembly mounted over head. Just seems like the clutch arm would work better if it were mounted overhead. I think I will do away with the clutch assembly and go with an idler wheel putting tension on a double belt between the motor and drive shaft.

Postleg,

I was sorting through some old URLs and stumbled across this one. http://gallery.slackdot.org/v/projects/miscblacksmith/theboss/ While your hammer isn't a "Boss", the setup might work with the parts you have. I couldn't tell from your pictures if it made sense or not. But I thought I would put it out there.

Brian

I will keep that in mind. I almost bought a hammer like that a year or so ago. I think I'll get it going and see what can be improved on . There are lots of options as to which way to go with this. who knows once I get the electric motor hooked up it may run like a swiss watch if not I'll go from there. But thanks for all the imput and Ideas keep them coming and together we will see this thing run.