I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Las Vegas NV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weekends work good for me, either Saturday, or Sunday. Sunday would be best as that is when I normally make the trek into the big city to have dinner with a friend. 

We can do like last time, a meet and greet at a restaurant, or meet at some other location.  

Let me know your thoughts on this.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, 25 yr old born and raised native who finally wants to start learning about blacksmithing and armor building and what better way then the local community? I was wondering if there was any kind of meet-up or place of business I could come observe, discuss and possibly volunteer myself to learn everything I can about the art. I'm going to read through the 8 pages here though to see if something pops out.

Welcome Jordan.

No shops that I know of in the valley. The only armor maker I knew of was back in Suisun CA, All Saints Armory.

There have been a couple of new additions to the list here. And now that I am unemployed at the moment I should look into setting up a meet and greet. 

• 3 months later...

Biggundoctor - give me a call! I lost your number when I got a new phone last year. I'm refocusing to get something for all of us up and running. Start small and work my way up to the endgame :) 

Incidentally, I went over to Vegas Forge not too long ago and their facility is pretty amazing. I was kinda just standing around with my mouth open looking at all the pretty equipment they have lol.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, recently moved to Vegas (South East) with my wife who is born and raised here. I'm looking to rekindle my love to hands on projects and have been wanting to delve into it as a hobby and stress relief. I would be starting from just read knowledge and no particular hands on experience. I've done plenty of woodworking and prop making (resin based) in the past.

If anyone could point me into the direction of a class or teacher, or just meet up, I would love to learn more and get into the fray.

Thanks!

Welcome Owchy. Will who goes by Spruce on here opened The Community Tool Chest  www.communitytoolchest.com. He is looking to set up classes soon. 

There is also a group on the Nevada blacksmith Facebook page looking to do a hammer in. 

Now that I am working in Las Vegas again I should be able to get some smithing done.

• 8 months later...

I am a new member to this group. I have a drive and passion for building things with my hands. I have welding experience, at times a master fabricator. Background in Automotive and Diesel Industry for past 22 years. I have the drive to and stature to swing a Big hammer and get started forging and learning the fine art and metallurgical properties of the different steel grades and types. Is anyone still active in the Valley for blacksmithing?

Thanks, Metal_Masher.

I am new to the valley and am looking to start bladesmithing/blacksmithing I have a real interest in working with metal and making great things from nothing. I worked as a gunsmith apprentice for my dad for a couple of years. Are there any classes to go to or any groups to learn and bounce ideas off of.

Thanks Tommy. 

This forum has a ton of information for starters. As for one on one, it is pretty limited. The Community Tool Chest is setting up to do metalworking to go along with the woodworking. Eventually they want to offer classes as well. There is a group out of Tonopah that does classes as well at the mining museum.

If you catch him before he leaves for Florida JPH here on the forums is one of the top bladesmiths in the country. Www.atar.com is his website, and I believe he was offering some limited classes.

Depending on when you are available I can also swing by and give you some advice when I am in Las Vegas.

I am usually available during the weekends I don't have a shop set up or anything I'm still looking for a place out here. So I will have to find that place you mentioned but I'm always up for meeting and learning techniques 

• 7 months later...

Hi yall. I'm 18 and new to blacksmithing. I have been only been forging for about a month now. All that I know is mostly self taught or learned from reading books by JPH, Wayne Goddard, this forum and other Internet research. I was wondering if you guys had a planned meeting day somewhere in the near future. 

I have all sorts of backyard equipment. To name a few: I have a home made forge that I'm always looking to improve, cross peens, homemade twist tongs (that actually work better than other tongs I've used), i have belt sanders and a mill that i mainly use as a drill press. My dad used to be an iron worker so I have plenty of steel at hand. I' interested in all sorts of smithing: blacksmithing in general, bladesmithing, and even gray smithing: such as mokume gane and the like.