I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Las Vegas NV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khp, the Southern Nevada Gem and Mineral Society teaches silver smithing/casting. They are a great group to work with.

Jane, not to discourage your son, but swords are not a beginner project by any means. Unfortunately one of the best blade smiths, and sword makers in the area will be moving to Florida soon, but you can buy his series of books. His name is Jim Hrisoulas. He is known around the world for his blades. 

Good morning,

Thank you all for the info regarding classes at CSN and the mineral society. He is enamored with tools of medieval warfare. Last fall we made a trebuchet, that was fun, there is always smashed fruit in the driveway. He is more interested in function than decoration and the act of forging itself really sparks his passion.  He has made several wooden swords and shields, and it is perfectly okay with him to start small and learn. Sword making is where he wants his learning to take him.

Too bad we are going to miss out on one of the best sword makers in the area, we wish him luck in Florida. We will definitely look for his books.

Looking around this site makes me want to try metal sculpting :)  Lots of amazing talent here.

Enjoy your day!

Let me put it this way:  starting off trying to make swords will be much slower to getting a usable sword than by starting off learning the basics of blacksmithing first and then moving on to bladesmithing.  if your son was interested in car racing would you put him in a formula 1 race car and push him out on the track not even knowing how the accelerator and brake worked?

Thought I would post this here first before it goes to craigslist, I am cleaning out the yard and I have a forge I built, anvil and post vise that I am selling

shoot me an offer everything you need to get started

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by gw7777
Rotate pics

Good morning,

So glad to have found this site!  I am a mom of a 14 year old who is very enthusiastic about the sword making arts. We are hoping to find a mentor for him in the LV area.  We live up in the NW and homeschool.  He already has a solid foundation of woodshop skills. His dad and I are wood workers and I am a seamstress. 

Welcome aboard Jane, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Of course your 14 yr. old boy wants to make swords, normal kid. Would you recommend a youngster or any newcomer to the craft start out making exotic wood puzzle boxes? Like wood working, blacksmithing is a series of basic processes that need to be learned and any forged item is made with these processes in the correct sequence. Once a person has mastered blacksmithing learning to make blades is just learning a new material and a couple new processes. Oh, swords are NOT just big knives, they're a whole new world of blades.

You and your husband should be aware that blacksmithing is very addictive and you two are bound to realize how nice it would be to just make that special plane knife, wood chisel, carving knife, etc. than to spend a bunch for one. Once you experience the joy of making steel dance to your tune you'll be lost. Wood workers who followed that very path are a darned big demographic of modern blacksmiths. No fooling.

Frosty The Lucky.

I wanted to say hello I'm new to black smithing and this sight. I'm looking for others in Las Vegas that I could maybe learn from and pick up some old tools from. Or just shot the xxxx and have a glass of Jack with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there everyone. New guy to the forum and smithing. Im up here in the north part of town, pretty close to aliante. If you guys plan on meeting again I would love to meet up and pick your brains a bit. Unfortunately I work on the weekends. Just let me know when and i'll see if I have a chance.

@gw7777 do you happen to have the forge or anvil for sale still?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, hopefully this thread is still alive LOL  new to smithing/blade craft in the Henderson, NV area with a gas powered 3 burner forge, junk HF anvil (need to find a better anvil or RRtrack) mill, grinders, etc

Just starting into the smithing part with some rebar, junk metal to learn some basics and wondering if any meetups or live forges are around I can watch, ask and learn

thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

I am new as new can be have no equipment YET.  I will have equipment but would love to meet up and start perusing this as a possible career. This is a dying craft that needs to be kept alive.  if you live in las vegas Nevada and want to meet up and forge I would love to take that opportunity.  For anyone who would let me use the equipment with them anyone learn what I can my email is Darkworm.reaper@gmail.com.  Thank you.

Welcome to IFI. What part of the valley do you live in? The Las Vegas valley is 40 miles across, so it covers a lot of area.

Don't know where you got the idea that blacksmithing is a dying art. Tens of thousands on here, and many more not on the net at all wouldn't agree with you either ;)

• 4 weeks later...