I Forge Iron

What is this thing

I realize this is not a machine tool, but I bought it from a machinist, does that count? I picked this up at a yard sale for $10. It weighs about 50#. NIKON 6969 is all that IDs it. I have searched the web with no success.This thing finely adjusts in X,Y,& Z axis. Maybe it's for an X-Ray machine? I had to have it, it was to cool to pass up. Thank you for your help!

post-2133-008500000 1274289386_thumb.jpg

post-2133-008258200 1274289465_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for your observations, knowledge, and opinions. I guess what it really wants to be, is a lamp.
I know that I will never put it to its intended use, but I'm the only person I know who has one.
Any ideas what to make of it , would be an interesting venture; Anchor ? huh.gif

I often wished that i had some sort of device that i could clamp material into that needed to be welded and due to the nature of the shape found conventional vices or clampimg mechanisms having to be doctored in some way. Thats what i would do with it. Looks like a robot without the motors.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

post-2133-076447200 1274913890_thumb.jpg I sent a picture to Nikon and the identified it as a...

" ...Type 3 stand for Nikon Autocollimator "

Fallow-up:
The only certified dealer of these things in the U.S. is in So, Ca., they offered me $400.00 unseen. Needless to say, I shipped it, and they paid for shipping!
Not a bad return on my investment.

"The check is in the mail"

Fallow-up:
The only certified dealer of these things in the U.S. is in So, Ca., they offered me $400.00 unseen. Needless to say, I shipped it, and they paid for shipping!

WAY TO GO KENNY!

Now I'm thinking it must've been a 4,000% profit generator! Man oh MAN I've gotta keep my eyes open for one!
Good for you, seriously.

Frosty the Lucky

WAY TO GO KENNY!

Now I'm thinking it must've been a 4,000% profit generator! Man oh MAN I've gotta keep my eyes open for one!
Good for you, seriously.

Frosty the Lucky

Now my wife is not so concerned about my auction, yard sale obsession.

"...what the heck are you going to do with that thing, it weighs a ton?"

It really only weighed 70#s.

(What is an Autocollimator anyway?)

Thanks Frosty

ps
My daughter lives in Anchorage, I am going up for a visit soon. My first visit to Alaska.
She manages a water-park. A strange place for a H20-park.

No kidding? H2Oasis is pretty darned popular, especially in winter. Be sure to let me know when you're going to be here. We're about an hour north of Anchorage. Come out play with fire, hit things with hammers and maybe scratch the little goats. We'll swap tall tales and eat something.

Frosty the Lucky.

Fallow-up:

Darn good thing you hadn't gotten to work modifying it into a lamp. Sometimes procrastination pays off! If the stand cost $400, imagine the price of the collimator itself. Of course you now have to buy drinks for everyone here! :)

A collimator is an optical device for aligning things to high accuracy.

• 5 months later...

I realize this is not a machine tool, but I bought it from a machinist, does that count? I picked this up at a yard sale for $10. It weighs about 50#. NIKON 6969 is all that IDs it. I have searched the web with no success.This thing finely adjusts in X,Y,& Z axis. Maybe it's for an X-Ray machine? I had to have it, it was to cool to pass up. Thank you for your help!

I believe that what you have there is what is commonly known as a "Nikon Third-Hand Beer holder," used by many Boeing machinists at baseball games. This very handy (pun intended) device allows you to hold a hot dog and a bag of peanuts while making certain that the scoundrel to your left can't steal your booze unless he has a 5 MM hex wrench. The X, Y, and Z-axis adjustments are useful for making up for whatever state of drunken revelry one might find oneself in- anywhere from your common 3-beer 2-degree X-axis tilt, to a full-case 90 degree tilt on all three axes, though the last time I saw someone with the skill to make that particular adjustment was at Molly's House of Not-so-Good Repute in Index, Washington, back in 1936.

Actually, I think the other guys are right- it's for holding a microscope.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The most common example of a "Collimator", is the device used to "bore sight" a rifle scope.

Basically, it projects, ... or focuses, ... a parallax free "point-in-space".

They are also used to adjust the prisms in binoculars, so that both sides of the binocular are focused on the same point.