I Forge Iron

Anyone interested in 450lb Fisher?

The site is set up to be a comfortable place for ALL to visit and learn about blacksmithing. To learn about blacksmithing (or anything else) you should not be required to fuss, cuss, and attack each other, or be cussed at and attacked by others. Heated discussions are not at issue, but we do ask for references to support your views so we can also read those source references and learn what they offer.

Moderation on IForgeIron is necessary due to the size of the site. The moderation system is set up with several moderators that assist the admins. If there is a problem, a report of EACH moderated event is sent to the site administrators for review. This keeps the admins informed, up to date, and the site running smoothly. Moderators have been on the site from the very beginning, so this is not something new. They provide a much needed service, without compensation, and the site could not function nearly as well without their assistance.

We also ask each member to report anything goes against the site guide lines, or is a concern, back to the moderators and admins. There is a yellow triangle lower left corner of EACH POST. Click there to send a report on that post. That is almost 14,000 members helping to keep their site running smoothly.

The gentlemen and ladies that visit (and are members of) IForgeIron are some of the best folks in the world. The site owners and administrators have set high standards for the site. It is a family forum, a place where folks can feel comfortable, and invite their children and grandchildren to sit at the computer with them to learn about blacksmithing, passing the craft on to the next generation.

• 2 weeks later...

The members and staff of I Forge Iron.com run a "G rated" forum. This rating was determined by the owner, Glenn, and is enforced at his request by all of us here. We do have very young children as members, and I personally know of at least one member whose eyes are failing to the point he cant surf this site, if it were not for his (under 10 yr old) grand children reading the pages to him. Which is something that can not be said for many web sites. IFI has been regarded as safe by most anyone for their children and grand children to read aloud to anyone. I personally have a rougher speech than my mother in laws likes, but I must admit I have no fear of my grandchildren seeing anything on here.

Thanks for understanding

This may be seem out of order but I wanted to respond directly to a comment I may have missed earlier.

I have never been in any situation where using that word was a problem. Honestly my feelings were hurt slightly and made to fell like a child because the statement was made in an effort to be humorous.

It was not my intention to hurt your feelings, but simply to bring the post into the guide lines of the site.

I have a lot to add to site as I have been blacksmithing for 17 years 15 years of that professionally.

Your ability was never in question. We (I) appreciate your input and your willingness to share your knowledge with others on the forum.

It could be because I am an atheist and I'm from NY where harsh language is the norm. I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school and taught this was only a problem when one was damming on to xxxx.

This defaults to not discussing religion, as it does not matter what religion you practice or do not practice, it is only blacksmithing being discussed on this site. Yes, we do have a prayer list that you can turn on or turn off from the forum. If you do not want bothered by this type discussion that is fine. If you do not wish to send up a prayer to your God to ask for help for others that is fine. I would hope that you could at least wish those in need of help, or assistance, a peaceful time, and quick recovery.

What sort person and under what context would this word be offensive? This is a serious question and I am not mocking your authority. It could just be a cultural difference I guess.

We have visitors from over 50 world wide countries. I do not know their cultural differences, what is accepted and what is not, but I can strive to be polite to all.

We have spent a lot of time and energy on this topic and I have tried to understand your point of view as well as explain why the guide lines were set up they way they are. You have communicated DIRECTLY with the site administrator. The entire discussion has been civil, and open to the public for review and comment. This is the way I do things. As I have stated before, IForgeIron is a blacksmithing site, a family forum, a comfortable place to visit, and a place where folks can come together to learn about blacksmithing.

I suggest that we get back to blacksmithing.

Kudos to both Steve and Glenn, WE all need to remember we are guests in this house. The house rules. WE are not
here by right. Do we allow guests in our house to behave as they do at home? I do NOT. I will not spit on your floor do not spit on mine. Thanks guys.
Ken

Glen,
I accept your authority on this issue. These will be my last words on the subject honestly your guidelines are quite subjective. I have not been giving a logical expiation as to why or how what I said was offensive. Other than a overly broad statement that something you would not say in front of a church or that this is a family site. What church who's family? I have heard parents say some horrible things to their children and vise versa . I also have been offended by statements made in some churches I have attended. Furthermore have heard that word used in church out side of a strictly biblical context. I am sure these things seemed perfectly normal to the people saying them at the time. I think you should have a more clear set of guidelines so people may have a solid idea of what sort of language is prohibited. So they don't embarrass themselves by having their post censored. Censorship is something a lot of people find to be very offensive by the way. Anybody on the web is going to be exposed to things orders of magnitude more offensive (than the word I used) even on this site. You should read more of the posts around here and see what people are getting away with saying. It is mostly done in the form of innuendo with out the use of "bad words". I am not easily offended by that sort of thing so I let it go. The word I used in not even considered a profanity according to the Oxford English Dictionary. If some one was offended by that sort of thing they are going to spend a lot of time and energy during there lives being offended. If I was explicitly told not to use this sort of word I would glady abide even if I thought it was unnecessary.

As for the prayer list issue I have no issue with it I'm a live and let live kind of guy, I wish those well who request it in my own way. If someone asks me to pray I will as to not offend, as I know this is very important to a lot of good people. Nor would I consider it my place to critical of anyone's sincerely held beliefs.
Tim