I Forge Iron

damascus english spurs

I spent two weekends making a damascus billet out of 15n20 and 1095. It was a workout! I used my diamondback propane forge, and had no problem welding in it. After folding 9 layers six times i ended up with 288 layers. The spurs themselves are a bit rough but i was happy with how the damascus came out being my first try.

post-9924-1272176180743_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project. The reason i keep making spurs is because i have family and friends who enjoy horses. I made some spurs for a friend of the family and a few more people have asked so i keep making them. I have actually made some money! Not enough to cover my time and materials, but since this is just a hobby at this point, it helps me do what i love for less money.

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project. The reason i keep making spurs is because i have family and friends who enjoy horses. I made some spurs for a friend of the family and a few more people have asked so i keep making them. I have actually made some money! Not enough to cover my time and materials, but since this is just a hobby at this point, it helps me do what i love for less money.

I'm thinking you've made some cowboy/girl a super bragging piece, those are terrific looking!

We used to buy hay in lancaster, Plamdale vicinity and though most of us didn't wear spurs I can't think of a one who wouldn't be wearing THOSE all the time, probably to bed in fact.

Frosty the Lucky.

Actually dave i have sold a few pair of spurs made from a farriers rasp. I really enjoy building them. I'm almost finished with a pair where they still have all the file teeth on them, and i hot slit the strap holes. i will post pics when they are done. My stuff looks like total junk compared to some that i see on a bit and spur site, but i am making progress, and its nice to learn while making something people will actually pay money for. It helps the hobby! After i sell a few more pair, maybe i can convince the wife to let me buy a fontanini anvil like chad!

BEAUTIFUL work! I have to admit, when I saw the heading, ENGLISH SPURS, I had no idea what set English spurs apart from any other kind. Now I know. The English can't sing "I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...." biggrin.gif

I've been meaning to take a try at spur making. They probably won't be damascus, though. I will probably use a pair of silver spurs that my sister-in-law bought for me in Mexico for my cowboy action shoots costume, for a pattern.

So, how DID you match them for size?

You have every right to be proud of those.

To match them for size i forged some templates out of some flat bar. I used some 4140 round stock with the proper diameter and bent the stock around it with a jig i made. It is essentially a heel band bender. When i need a different sized template i use a larger or smaller size round stock to bend around. When i have the template formed to the proper size (the inside dimension of the heel band) i weld some braces inside so it won't give when i bend the bands. My bender is similar to a press, i have a lever that i pull down with a rod that forces the tool steel past two rollers which in turn bend the band around the template.
I also have some templates so i can bend heel bands with a hammer or mallet if they are more delicate.