I Forge Iron

Video of Breaking down 4340 in the Flatifier

monstermetal

I had 22 of these bits to break down this morning...

They started as 4 3/4 round 2" long.... And finished as 1 3/4 sq (roughly, hammer blanks)

I had two forges running... The pucks in three at a time in the long forge, one heat through the Flatifier, into the small forge then one pass through the 3B to size...

Was running the hammer hard enough that the ram started sticking (it was just rebuilt and still tight at the top end)

Took about 3 hours to do all 22 chunks, mostly soak time
4534004222_454e55bca5.jpg

Video
Flatifier one

In this one I smooshed to far in the first bite and then my tongs where too big to get a good hold
Flatifier Duce

Sizing in the sticking 3B
Big Green Meanie

The only crit that I have is that you are forging those slugs across the grain, possibly not a problem. You may get some cracks opening up where the middle of the billet was when they are heat treated though. We always try to forge along the grain of the bar, when we are forging out bar offcuts.
Otherwise it looks good.

Phil

The only crit that I have is that you are forging those slugs across the grain, possibly not a problem. You may get some cracks opening up where the middle of the billet was when they are heat treated though. We always try to forge along the grain of the bar, when we are forging out bar offcuts.
Otherwise it looks good.

Phil

Hey Phil...

I dont quite follow.... So the grain is running the length of the bar right? Since these where cut this way when I got them how could I reorient the material into 1 3/4 sq without forging across the grain? I am trying to picture moving the matieral in my head and I just cant seem to figure out how to get the desired result and stay with the grain flow... Some times I cant see the simple things in front of my face... ;)

Hey Phil...

I dont quite follow.... So the grain is running the length of the bar right? Since these where cut this way when I got them how could I reorient the material into 1 3/4 sq without forging across the grain? I am trying to picture moving the matieral in my head and I just cant seem to figure out how to get the desired result and stay with the grain flow... Some times I cant see the simple things in front of my face... ;)

I'm not the Phil you asked, but I can't think of an EASY way either. Anyways as you forge down the stock this much, won't the grain deform and reform in the now long direction? Also it's not like this is wrought, so the grain is not as critical right?

another Phil

I'm not the Phil you asked, but I can't think of an EASY way either. Anyways as you forge down the stock this much, won't the grain deform and reform in the now long direction? Also it's not like this is wrought, so the grain is not as critical right?

another Phil

I believe what the other Phil was saying was to weld a handle on one of the flats of the round cut off and hit the 2" thick dimension of the round till the flats pouch out and continue to draw them 90 degree blows till they extrude out.
It is more of a gentile upsetting action at first and would require quite a few more heats.
The solution, I think as Phil sees it, would have been to cut off a longer chunk than 2" and forge it as the round parent bar had been processed....assuming you were the one cutting the parent bar which I think you were not.

Then again, I am not sure there will be issues as the rounds began as something quite a bit larger and were most likely well and properly worked down to the round section so all that may have occurred was a change in the grain flow direction with the way it was forged. Certainly when rings and such are made the first action is to upset the bar.

I wish I had that press.
Ric

I believe what the other Phil was saying was to weld a handle on one of the flats of the round cut off and hit the 2" thick dimension of the round till the flats pouch out and continue to draw them 90 degree blows till they extrude out.
It is more of a gentile upsetting action at first and would require quite a few more heats.

That's not easy, quick, or slick, sir.

I may have read "fox in socks" too many times this morning too.

Phil

Hey Ric..

I found someone at Williams White who is researching my press... My first contact with them was not as helpful but it sounds like the new guy is excited about blacksmiths and the reuse of this old monster (from the sounds of it this is one of if not the smallest forging press they have ever built)

I am hoping to have some more real information on its design characteristics soon that might help with the construction of yours...

Larry