I Forge Iron

Welding to grade 8 bolts

I'm currently working on an older Jeep and re-doing the ball joints. It has been a LONG LONG time since I have pulled wrenches on a rig. Some of the bolts holding this thing together are grade 8 and are castellated headed. XXXXXX I never saw one of those before! They are a pain to work with and I am thinking of just weldin a standard hex nut over the castelled head so I can use a standard wrench on these stinking things when I go to put them back in (if I ever get the darn things out!). Anyone know why it would not work out OK? I have a Miller 250 MIG - a lincoln 110V MIG w/ flux core setup in it and an older AC/DC stick machine. I plan to use the Miller with 70S6 wire.

Well you would really be playing with fire there... My guess is that the mfrs deliberately used special heads on these bolts to prevent unqualified mechanics from messing with them. If you weld on them the heat treatment will be negated and they will no longer be grade 8 bolts. They are part of a critically designed component of the vehicle which might create a dramatic safety risk if done any way other than just right. If you don't know exactly how to deal with these it should be a clear sign that you need professional help! I am not saying that it can't be done... but your suggested technique is pretty scary!!! Get fully educated or hire the job out... don't endanger lives by cutting corners.

Well you would really be playing with fire there... My guess is that the mfrs deliberately used special heads on these bolts to prevent unqualified mechanics from messing with them. If you weld on them the heat treatment will be negated and they will no longer be grade 8 bolts. They are part of a critically designed component of the vehicle which might create a dramatic safety risk if done any way other than just right. If you don't know exactly how to deal with these it should be a clear sign that you need professional help! I am not saying that it can't be done... but your suggested technique is pretty scary!!! Get fully educated or hire the job out... don't endanger lives by cutting corners.

Hey Bill. Are they 12 point nuts?

If your gonna replace the bolts then go ahead and weld a nut on to aid in removal but if your gonna reuse them then you may want to reconsider.
I have welded lots of nuts and bolts for sake of removing a damaged fastener but it will alter the integrity of the bolt and therefor not a good idea to reuse it.

welder19

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...