I Forge Iron

A hopeful future blacksmith

pkrankow: I've seen an anvil on craigslist, but he only supplied his e-mail address, and I have not received any word from him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one being auctioned this weekend at the LAMA event, perhaps I can get a loan from ma pa and finally get me an anvil!

Brian: I'll definitely do so when it gets a little closer to graduation time, thank you!

youngdylan: Going to be ordering next, thanks!

Brasil: I'll start reading that one now! Thank you.

Thanks for everything guys.

Great early posts Joseph! someone's already suggested getting with LAMA, they're a good bunchh. Tell Dave Mudge Frosty said hi if you see him, hw won't more than double any fees as a result. ;)

As Grant said, you're articulate, have a decent grasp of what you want and need to proceed in the craft and don't want to make a sword as a first project. Being a bladesmith is a good aspiration, it's pretty darned advanced metal working, a worthy persuit for sure. You have the right philosophy about mistakes too, mine is only slightly different but those are only the words, not the spirit. I feel a mistake or better yet a correction from someone is a gift. Mastering the craft is simply knowledge and practice. Asking questions here is welcome, NOTHING stimulates a good information exchange like a good question and if we're lucky several different answers. (that's a insider blacksmith joke by the way. :))

Hooking up with Brian will have you hitting the ground running for sure, I know I'd love to be there. Search IFI for the Thomas anvil acquisition technique, I'd post the link if I knew where it is. Aw, someone will I'm sure. Basically tell EVERYONE what you're looking for and why and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E, don't be bashful. Blacksmiths are usually darned polite folk but seldom bashful. B)

Glad to have ya aboard Joseph, if you ever make it to Alaska look me up.
Frosty the Lucky.

Howdy Frosty! In my time lurking, must have been you that I saw the most post from...and I'll say, its a pleasure to finally say hi!

If I meet Dave I'll be sure to tell him you said hi AFTER the fees are paid then ;).

I'll start asking for any tools I can get my hands on. I know the shop at school has a 55 gal drum of scrap metal, I just wish I had a place I could put it. I'll definitely get that out before graduation though.

Nice to meet you Frosty; I can't say that I have any planned trips to Alaska just yet, but if and when I do; I'll be sure to let you know!

I'm glad you delurked Joseph I can take a break from all the typing now I've lured you out of hiding. :rolleyes:

When you say Hi to Dave for me, AFTER you've paid the fees just don't tell him I warned you! Heck, say hi before you hit the road, he'll steer you straight. dave@magichammer.net Just be careful, you might get invited back to his new shop. His old one got taken out by a tree falling in a hurricane. Being taken out by a falling tree is something I can identify with for sure.

Frosty the Lucky.

WOW!! you got both feet in the door now tomcellwheel!! really like the way evryone jumped on your post, if only half of us had the encouragement you've got from the site( and outside im sure) plus some big help from some of the big names and a guild in your back yard!! and on top of all that you have the drive needed for it all, not that i want to make a big deal out of it but its very refreshing{like a junior mint :)}i'm working with a young fella right now that wants to learn ,came over for the first time and wanted to start forge welding...had to tell him to slow down , it was all kinda disrespectful if you ask me but i digress.you have something ppl around here( new brunswick canada) dont have access to and if i wher you i would take full advantage of any help you get from anyone. and if your budget allows you, take brians class if you seen grants posts you must have seen his too. lots of talent here on iforge .and us acadians arnt better off with the way we speak lol oh and here are a few books you can check out for free http://maritimeblacksmiths.ca/ just check out the library. good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement Rokshasa! Definitely alot of encouragement on the site, and I'm sure I'll receive more out side of it once I am able to start practicing the art. (People at school tend to think I'm crazy for wanting to do such a thing, but I guess you just really have a love/respect for blacksmithing to appreciate it). I'm checking craigslist everyday in hopes of finding an anvil, and once I have a place to put a forge, I'll start on building one. I will definitely try and take a class or two from Brian if I can get enough work in these next few weeks to afford it. I've got alot to learn, and I can't wait to be able to start practicing. Thanks for the books too!

Hey Tomcellwheel and welcome to the forum!

Good to see you are interested in smithing.
It looks like you have everything set, with local help so some kid with four years of self taught experiance isn't going to advise anything better than they! Good luck! (You already got me beat on spelling and it won't be long before you fly past me in smithing too! LOL!)

See ya round man!

Haha, thanks Dave! You could have fooled me about only having 4 years experience; your past video seemed to prove otherwise anyway. I still have to get my "shop" up and running somewhere before I can even begin, but I guess I can say I'm getting a good push with the meeting with Brian this coming up weekend. Its unfortunate my "landlord" won't allow me to make a forge on the property. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed about this house ma pa is looking at.

Also guys, this may seem a tad nerdy of me, but I think I'm going to get my a type of journal to write down everything I do in blacksmithing starting this weekend with my first experience. That way, I can always recall the little mistakes, and keep myself motivated for the next project. Also, it never hurts to see how much I progress, eh?

A journal? That's a high falutin way of saying notebook isn't it? :rolleyes: Keeping notes including pics, sketches and drawings is a very good way to keep from making the same mistake more than a couple times. Of course keeping the journal in the IFI BLOG section works too, just keep some paper and pencil with you wherever you go, especially the shop.

While you're thinking of a shop of your own, take a look at Dave's trailer set up. If your landlord doesn't like it, it's mobile and maybe you can find someone who likes the idea of a smith working. Keep your eyes open for a historical site, lots have smithies and it's not at all hard to get on the volunteer list. That gives you access to a smithy, tools, materials, fuel and an audience. On two occasions I've walked into a living history smithy cold and within a couple minutes of talking been invited to join the fun.

Frosty the Lucky.

The trailer set up is nice, especially when your "shop" can get in the way of something and needs to be moved. LOL Don't fret about not having a "shop" yet. Like I said, I've been pecking away at this thing for 4 years and I'm still stuck in the rain under the spreading chesnut, arms as bands of steel, etc, etc, the whole nine yards! Sounds good, feels worse! A LOT worse! LOL (Not to discourage you!) :lol: Anyway, I'm just now looking at pouring a slab and moving into a 13'x16' section of the barn. (I'm downsizing you see! Going from 60 arcres to 208 square feet! :angry: haha! At least it's waterproof....for the most part!)

Anyway, build you a trailer, buy a tent and hit the road.......travel the country! :P

Do you have or have access to a welder? Building your own forge is the way to go, especially if you can find a cheep steel source!

Dave

Indeed it is Frosty! I didn't know what to call it myself haha. I usually always have something to write on, so I'll be sure to do so while learning. I'll have to look around the few close towns and see if they have anything like that, would be nice if I could learn that way too. I'll keep my eyes open.

Dave, I sure wish I could learn blacksmithing as my life's work. Unfortunately, my family would more than likely disown me if I would do such a thing...but I have a feeling I'll be doing something like that one day in the future.

Also, yes, a good friend of mine works as a Welder, so if I can't get it done free I can definitely get it done cheap. Would the steel need to be ordered, or would a run to the junkyard provide me with what I need? Any recommended plans?

I was looking at the "Cart Setup" which a simple travel to Lowes would set me up. Only problem would be a good air source, considering I don't have one of those nice air blowers like on your trailer haha.

Keep an eye out for blowers on ebay!

Here is an awsome deal right here!

Ebay forge/blower

The forge will need repair but if the blower runs good and you could get it for that price.....it would be as close to robery as you are likely to get without going to prison! It says the blower is stuck....I've had mine do that and it was always a gear set bolt that had come loose and the gears collide. If it is that, it is a matter of scooting the gear back into place with a screwdriver and tightening the bolt. You may be able to unfreeze it or not! But if it stays at the price it's at now, it would be a chance worth taking I think!

You can get your stuff from a junk yard if the people are of a helpful disposition! The junkyard I deal with is not though. When I called and asked if they had any brake drums laying around they said no.....when I showed up I found a couple of cars slap full of them.

Your best bet is to try find a regular supplier within driving distance. I've got a wholesale steel warehouse 15 minutes down the road....thank God!!! A welding shop is going to charge you your right leg everytime you buy steel from them!

Dave

Way out there in the country half way to Lake Charles and you can't run a forge? I'd open up a can 'o wuppass! So, ya got a girl friend willing to strike for ya? Sure miss that Cajun (insert real word) coffee! My two fav "other" places are San Francisco and Nawlins. Guess they're both a little "out there". Got that blog goin yet? I'll be checking, and yes, there will be quiz after.

Hey Tom, looks like you're on your way to some good learning! I'm glad you mentioned (or someone) about the Louisiana Metalsmith Association get together this weekend with Brian as the demonstrator. Looks like I'll be coming from Texas to learn too! It'll be my first as well so I'm excited about meeting Brian and getting some new ideas and meeting you too. Look forward to seeing you Saturday!

Bill

Dave: Looks like I missed the blower, but I can't be to bummed considering it was pick-up only. I'll keep my eyes open though, thanks! I'll also contact some of the scrapyards around here (There are about 5 or 6 in Lafayette, so maybe I'll have some luck.

NakedAnvil: You would think I'd be able to find a place quite easily huh?!?! Haha, thats what I thought too. No, no girlfriend at the moment. Perhaps if I learn enough to make some "pretty" items, I can find one eh? Yes, coffee here is something special! And have not started the blog yet, but definitely will this Saturday!

Bill: I'm excited that another member is coming to the event! I look forward to meeting you!

Hey Brian, what time are those classes? I can't seem to find the times on the LAMA site. I may have work Friday, and depending on the time Thursday, I should be able to make it out to that one. No matter what though, I'll definitely be there Saturday and Sunday.

Making your own forge is the best way to do it. I didn't even have a "forge" when i started out. I just had a shallow hole in a pile of dirt with a coffee can that had holes punched into the top of it. A copper pipe ran out the side of the dirt pile to a compressor with a tip that you could twist open to regulate the flow. it worked out pretty well until i decided i needed something better. leveled out a spot in the same dirt pile and made a small "oven" of sorts with the air flow coming in from the side and a firebrick lining. It was a pretty nice setup and it was fuel efficient too. I had to move the forge because my parents needed the dirt so i was out of a forge for a bit until my cousin helped me weld up a brake drum one. Long story short i had that one for a while until i bought myself a welder and made a nice table one with a firepot. Now i have my own shop in my backyard and i sell stuff at colonial reenactments. The journal idea is a really good thing to do. I have been keeping one since i built my shop and i often look back on projects and just basic shop duties that i did that day. It sounds like you have a bunch of good opportunities to learn some stuff and acquire some good tools.

Best of luck to you

Matt

Heya Matt, thanks for the idea! I may very well try that out if I can...and if not I may still try the cart idea. I need to talk to the landlord again and see if I can convince him (or maybe a neighbor) to allow me to start forging.

Wow, thanks everyone...I never expected so much help for a "newby blacksmith". I can't really describe the feeling I am witnessing at the moment....I just know its not one I experience often. All I can say is thanks, and wow.

Graf: Thanks for the suggestions! I shall definitely get them all when possible!

NakedAnvil: The only reason would be if I get lost (I'm not much of a direction guru, you see!) But I am definitely going to go.

Zig: Thanks for the help, I'll have to see if one of my grandparents have any tools they may not be using anymore...perhaps I'll be as lucky as you!

Spike: Thank you! I think I may have heard of that one before, I'll have to try and get my hands on it.

Brian: I will definitely be coming (I assume I only need to bring the form filled out and some cash, yes?) and I would be honored to meet you. I will warn you now, I've never striked before, so I suppose I should ask that you have patience with me, but I would be very grateful if you wouldn't mind teaching me a bit. I look forward to next weekend!

Thanks for everything guys, looks like I've got some reading to do, and I couldn't be happier. If you guys would like (or at least wouldn't mind) I will keep you all updated on my blacksmithing journey.

Edit: Brian, you are truly generous and I thank you, but I think I'll work an off-day this week, and I'll be able to afford it. I couldn't ask you to do such a thing, but I thank you for such an offer! I look forward to meeting you!

The reason you have received the responses that you have, is simply because of your attitude. You will go a long way in life with the attitude with which you have been blessed.