I Forge Iron

A hopeful future blacksmith

Joseph: You're not punching a timeclock here you know. Sure, we like knowing what's going on, hearing updates and especially seeing pictures but you aren't going to get docked for missing a day or two. ;)

Webby Road eh? Have you considered the market potential for hand forged spiders (and webs of course) from the Webby Road smithy? Hmmmm? There's nothing like a good gimick to get started making some money you know. You gotta think of these things you know. B)

Frosty the Lucky.

Haha, Frosty, that is a great (and fun) idea! I'll have to remember that!

So, about the LAMA event....basically, it was a blast. My roomate thought I'd give out after being there a few hours, but I must say; even after the 13 hour day, I was still craving more. In all, I made 2 steak-flips, and of course the hammer with Brian's help. I am still checking craigslist for possible anvil postings, and still waiting on news to get back in my house so I can start forging.

General things of what I learned at LAMA event:

1) Hot metal = burned finger.
2) Copper is good conductor of heat.
3) Tongs take practice.
4) Blacksmiths are the best group of people I've ever met.
5) Its harder than it looks.
6) Hammer control requires alot of practice.
7) Just have fun.
8) Much, much more.

Spring break is next week, and I am hoping to get in contact with one of our local blacksmiths who seems to be willing to help me learn some more. As I said earlier, I'd choose a day/week of blacksmithing over a day/week on the beach.

So, about the LAMA event....basically, it was a blast. My roomate thought I'd give out after being there a few hours, but I must say; even after the 13 hour day, I was still craving more. In all, I made 2 steak-flips, and of course the hammer with Brian's help. I am still checking craigslist for possible anvil postings, and still waiting on news to get back in my house so I can start forging.

2) Copper is good conductor of heat.
3) Tongs take practice.
4) Blacksmiths are the best group of people I've ever met.
5) Its harder than it looks.
6) Hammer control requires alot of practice.
7) Just have fun.
8) Much, much more.

Spring break is next week, and I am hoping to get in contact with one of our local blacksmiths who seems to be willing to help me learn some more. As I said earlier, I'd choose a day/week of blacksmithing over a day/week on the beach.

Joseph, You are welcome to come up here for your Spring break, and I can show you what to do with that hammer. We have an extra room for you to stay in and we can feed you, so it won't cost you anything, just your time.

Hmmmm, two things Joseph: First. You can count on me for ideas!

Second. About general things you learned at the event, item 1) Hot metal = burned finger. This is where the Blacksmith's Moto I came up with comes in. Carpe Terminus Frigidus.

Frosty the Lucky.