I Forge Iron

Biginner blacksmith query: where to get metal?

I have worked for a blacksmith at a Boyscout camp in North Georgia for three years now and this year he isn't returning to camp and I have been asked to take over the forge for the summer. I know what I'm up to as far as basic blacksmiths goes but for as long as I've been here we have been using the metal stock of the blacksmith before either I or my teacher came to the camp. This old stock is used up so I'm looking for some iron rods and square stock to demonstrate making nails, scrolls and chain with but all I can find is tool steel at the welding supply that is much too hard to work with for our purposes. Where can I get the iron I need?

Hi Tim,
You might also try a local welding/fabrication shop or look in the yellow page for a steel supplier. They might have some drops (short cut off pieces) for cheap, or since it is for a Scout camp you might ask them for donations of material. It will be a lot easier if you star with dimension size materials(1/4" square, 3/8" square,1/4"round,3/8" round etc ) rather than having the kids forge the material to size from reclaimed stuff. It'll keep it more fun for them.

You can scrounge a lot of material for free, you just have to look, and ask around. Construction sites may give you rebar scraps, heavy brackets, etc. Check with local auto repair shops, muffler shops, auto body shops, etc for scrap items like u-bolts, center links, tie rod ends, springs,etc. Some businesses generate what they consider trash/scrap that is very usable to a smith. Wooden cable reels have long through bolts, farmers usually have stuff laying around, you are surrounded by material. You just have to look at things with the eye of a smith. B)

All good suggestions so far but I'll add my dos copeks anywhoo.

check the yellow pages for a steel supplier, fab shops, welding shops, etc. etc. for drops. After a while you'll get in the swing and think of things we haven't already thought of. Auto parts are definitely useable but might be a bit of a rough training stock with the exception of coil springs which is what I use to teach tool steel forging and heat treating, they're generally more forgiving than storebought tool steels.

Here's my (hopefully useful) addition to the suggestions. For SURE tell them you're after a donation to the Boyscouts and to make it official get a recipt book from the Troops, camp, the scouting organization in general. whoever does the books will be able to set you up, so whoever donates stock can write it off their taxes. Rewarding good behavior is always a good idea. Yes?

I'll be watching replies looking for results and more good ideas, I volunteered to teach blacksmithing to the local scouts once the weather breaks for us so I'm more interested than I usually am. :)

Frosty the Lucky.

While at those fab shops remember that nails used to be made from strips sheared from plate, and not from bar stock. If they have a powerful shear, buying new 1/4 inch plate or using up scrap plate sheared will likely cost less if you can get the labor free.

If you try teaching welding, even really short bits may be usable, but that may be a waste of time.

Phil

Tim,

Steel scrap yards - alleys and dumpsters - tire and front end repair shops - empty lots - steel whole sale stores (they always have cut offs/drops) - golf cart repair shops - demolition sites - bridge building sites - businesses that are closing (shelving) - garage sales - Craigs List under materials and free stuff - and perhaps most important of all; tell everyone of your project and your need, people want to help and you will increase you "eyes" a lot. Make it a habit to be looking for metal ... it literally is just laying around. Ask for permission when you can and pick it up!!!

Good luck,
Tim

I was in Troop 252 for 23 years,got my Eagle rank, stayed on as an assistant SM, then became the Scoutmaster for 11 years. Worked at 2 summer camps as handicrafts merit badge instructor for 4 years, so I got pretty good at scrounging stuff for the troop, and council. A lot of times as soon as I mentioned that it was for a BSA activity I got instant responses, free items, or some very nice discounts. The Scouts are still very well thought of, and a lot of people still believe in what they stand for, even though Scouting is not as visible as it once was in many communities.

If I can find it, I have a Scout Handbook fron 1927. One of the merit badges listed was blacksmithing, with all of the requirements.

Enter Wiki; The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:
Handbook for Boys, 1948 Edition
Original Requirements

1. Make an open link of 3/4-inch stock.
2. Forge a chain hook out of 3/4 x 1/2-inch soft steel or 3/4-inch round iron.
3. Make a bolt of 1/2-inch iron.
4. Bend and weld three links and form them into a chain, these links to be fastened to the hook of Requirement 2 by a ring, and links and ring to be made out of 3/8-inch iron.
5. Make a straight lap weld of 1/4 x 1-inch stock.
6. Make a rock drill.
7. Temper a rock drill.
8. Explain how to harden and temper a cold chisel.

The official source for the information shown in this article or section is:
Boy Scout Handbook, 1911 Edition

1. Upset and weld a one-inch iron rod.
2. Make a horseshoe.
3. Know how to tire a wheel, use a sledge-hammer and forge, shoe a horse correctly and roughshoe a horse.
4. Be able to temper iron and steel.

The new merit badges have a blacksmithing option; as I recall some smiths I know working on the update for it.

As for stock: I buy my new stock at a Windmill Construction and repair place---the larger an order they make the better a deal they get on it so they are happy to sell me 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" Sq and strap, etc. It comes in 20' lengths of course and is about 1/3 cheaper than buy it from the local lumber yard in 20' lengths.

If you can work with short pieces an Ornamental Iron Fab business used to let me go through their scrap dumpster: PPE a must! As a business they didn't store short pieces for "later" and I would get tons of great lengths for teaching---very handy to have *50* pieces exactly the same size. I always asked before accessing, never interferred with operations and gave them hand forged knickknacks for their office.

First of all, congratulations and thanks for volunteering with the BSA. It's a very worthwhile effort. I have 18 years working with the Scouts. Many of my Scouts now have sons of their own in Scouting.

Second: Where are you? I'm sure you have one of our fine iforgeiron smiths in your neighborhood that can help.

Try the yellow pages (book or online) under "metals" or "steel".