I Forge Iron

I think I just got a good deal on a Hay Budden...

Yesterday I jumped on CL and saw a 140# "Ay Budde" anvil for $175. It was about 1030pm so I figured that like all the deals I've seen on CL it was gone (It was listed at 330 same day). For kicks I called the guy up this morning at about 9am and it was still there. I jumped in my truck to go see this beauty. Around here I haven't seen too many anvils for under $2/#, so if it had a good face it was coming home with me.

Tell me what you think, good deal or pretty average? I'm happy with the purchase and even happier to be owning a Hay Budden anvil.

P.S. From what I can tell, the serial number on the right front foot (when looking down the horn) is 42271 (if I didn't invert any numbers)

P.P.S. I wasn't sure if the forty-five in the third pic was custom or factory. Either way, I'm sure I can work with it.

post-2705-12643564977493_thumb.jpg

post-2705-12643565299262_thumb.jpg

post-2705-12643565489561_thumb.jpg

post-2705-12643565729423_thumb.jpg

post-2705-12643566198839_thumb.jpg

post-2705-12643566419828_thumb.jpg

Yahoo for you!! good deal and a nice looking anvil. If you got the right numbers your anvil was made in 1899, IF it has the letter "A" before the numbers than it was made in 1922. Either way it is old but still has at least another 100 years left in her. Enjoy!

I can't make out much before the 4. Can't tell if there would have been anything there or not. He said that his father was an antique dealer and gave him the anvil over 20 years ago. I guess that means that either date above would sound about right. Thanks for the info. I'm heading out to the shop now. I'll double check the numbers. It was either 42271 or 47221. I don't suppose you have any info on the weight. He said around 140#, which fells about right.

Thanks again :).

I stand corrected, blame it on the 4 hours of sleep last night, its 47221. Near as I can tell there is not even a hint of an "A" before it.

1899. The weight will be stamped under the name Hay Budden and it will be in pounds. The weight is usually faint so a 'rubbing' may be needed to see the numbers. Or you may be able to see them with a light shining at an angle the the front. This will be on the side of the anvil with the horn to your left. Sweet anvil.

Bathroom Scale should tell you the weight.

Lots of life left in that anvil---I would had preferred that the person with the grinder had stayed away from it though. If you are in a damp area of the country that grinding doesn't look 20 years old to me...when I run into that sort of thing I always tell the seller that the grinding *dropped* the value of the anvil just in case they get another one to sell...

Anyway *I* would have bought that one and I;m nortoriously cheap!

• 4 weeks later...