I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand ?

Got my first anvil today :) Its a 77# Trenton. Now I need a stand. My question is, with a light anvil will there be any benefits to putting it on a heavy stand (ie. sand filled base) as opposed to a tripod style? With little access to hard wood stumps, i plan to make a stand.

IMG_6248.jpg

If you think about it the important thing with anvils is to have LOTS of mass under your hammer. If you have a heavy anvil then it has that mass built in and a tripod base will work for most hand forged work. However, with a relatively light anvil like this one I would be going for as solid a base as you can find as the base is effectively adding mass to your anvil. So a sand filled one or a solid stump is the go in this case.

Just my two bobs worth.......

While I agree a solid stand is more important the lighter the anvil, I have to wonder who advertbot is.

Isn't this an internet advertising Bot? I don't see any actual information or advice outside of who to do your shopping with. If it weren't for all the ads at the top of the pages now I'd think this was spam. Sure would be if it showed up in MY E-mail.

Then again, I don't have a lot of (heck, ANY) use for mass mailed advertisements, the web is easy enough to search for things I actually need or want so I don't need it sent to me by sales persons.

I'm sure this one appears here by invitation of some sort so I'll leave it at this.

Frosty

Advert bot is iforgeiron's new google advertising spam. See iforge iron makes a fraction of a penny or so everytime someone clicks on one of those adds. Google ads are seriously annoying and i'd rather just pay 5$ a year to be a member here and have no spam/ads, etc. Or have a membership for those who want to sell on here. I mean there are ideas and options.. google ads is kinda the low end of money making on the net.

As for stands my personal 2 cents is make the heaviest stand you can. You'll never regret it. Make some kind of bolt system or clamp system to clamp that anvil down to that heavy metal stand as tight as you can. The more one piece it becomes the better off you'll be. Less ring, more rebound, etc. Make yourself a good 100lb stand and you've instantly made your anvil that much heavier and solid.

For my gladiator 450#'s my anvil stand alone is 265lb's. Yeah that's one heavy stand. Sand is in the legs and cross members. It looks like this. Combined 715#'s of solid mass.

On my Brian Brazeal style anvil, the stand itself weighs 137#'s. The anvil is 240lb's. Together they are 377#'s.

So when i'm making a stand for myself or someone else I always try to make the stand as close to half the weight of the anvil as I can get, if not more for small anvils. A heavy anvil stand is something you won't regret. It makes the world of difference when you are working on that anvil.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

I started my stand today. I fabricated a metal box, attached all-thread to the base that continues up thru the top to clamp down the anvil and filled it with 240# of concrete. It should heavy and solid when completed.

I have a question. An all thread to attach the anvil? One or two? You need to anchor both the front and back.
Most of the metal box bases I have seen are sand filled. Lets ya adjust the height when needed also cuts
down the ring.
Ken

I have a question. An all thread to attach the anvil? One or two? You need to anchor both the front and back.
Most of the metal box bases I have seen are sand filled. Lets ya adjust the height when needed also cuts
down the ring.
Ken

Yes, there is an anchor point for both the front and back. I was going to use sand. I decided to use concrete for some additional mass. I was also concerned that the small foot print of the anvil would tend to sink or tip in the sand. I set the height to 2.5" above my fist. My back does not handle being bent over very long. I have several 1" thick rubber pads in can stack and stand on when i need to lower the anvil. I use them in other parts of the shop when i need to adjust the height of a bench.

Today i need to come up with a way to hang hammers on the stand.

Yes, there is an anchor point for both the front and back. I was going to use sand. I decided to use concrete for some additional mass. I was also concerned that the small foot print of the anvil would tend to sink or tip in the sand. I set the height to 2.5" above my fist. My back does not handle being bent over very long. I have several 1" thick rubber pads in can stack and stand on when i need to lower the anvil. I use them in other parts of the shop when i need to adjust the height of a bench.

Today i need to come up with a way to hang hammers on the stand.

Yeh I know about the back (65yrs of iron working) The sand works good. Ya build your box and a floating plate to
go under the anvil. bury the base about 2-3 inchs in sand. Have a friend who teaches at John Cambell uses one like that. I am still using stumps but someday.
Ken

So i had some time to work on my stand. Its almost done. There will be a metal top that the anvil will sit on. A thin piece of wood will be inserted between the anvil and the base.

Very cool!! B) You'll just have to see if concrete is more to your liking than the sand. Sand would have taken out more of the ring but that concrete must have given you some seriously serious weight! lol. What is the total weight now? I like the rack, but you might find you want to cut it off on one side as it might get in the way of your work. The welding looks great!

That sure is pretty. Use it for a while and see how it works for you and then modify it if necessary. To tell you the truth I have found that over the years you'll want to stand a little closer to the anvil than that hammer rack will allow you to so you may want to modify it if (when) your back gets to hurting from leaning over to far to forge properly.

It's all done and it's solid. I did get to use it some today. It has some ring but not bad at all.

The hammer rack extends 3" off the base. It is not in the way YET. If it gets in the way it will be easier to cut it off then to put it on :D All and all, its my first stand for my first anvil and I like it. Thanks for the input I enjoy learning from you guys.

Gary

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg