I Forge Iron

Strange happenings

hi
two days ago i was in my forge and i couldn't think what to do/make so i decided to practice some forge welding.

After a long time of trying to get borax( because i'm in the uk) i tried to use it i folded over a piece of steel, wire brushed then i put borax on at red heat............And funnily enough it didn't weld i tried again 3 more times but it still didn't work. BUT when i tried it without borax it welded perfectly well.

well that's my strange happening of the week.....whats yours? :blink:

There are two schools of thought about whether to put borax between the interfaces of the pieces to be welded or not. I don't. I fold and make it tight without daylight. I flux the resulting shuts. I think a little flux enters the interstice by capillary attraction when at a bright heat. At a welding heat, hammer from the folded end toward the open end to squeeze any soup and dirt out.

http://www.turleyforge.com

hi alec - interesting... ive been trying (in uk) with borax and having pretty poor results. i have heard that in the uk nobody really uses it- i dunno - im starting to think maybe i should ditch the borax and do the uk style with a bit more conviction - i might get better results like you?? :rolleyes:

hi
two days ago i was in my forge and i couldn't think what to do/make so i decided to practice some forge welding.

After a long time of trying to get borax( because i'm in the uk) i tried to use it i folded over a piece of steel, wire brushed then i put borax on at red heat............And funnily enough it didn't weld i tried again 3 more times but it still didn't work. BUT when i tried it without borax it welded perfectly well.

well that's my strange happening of the week.....whats yours? :blink:

Did you put it back into the forge and reheat to a welding heat? or did you just try and weld it after fluxing?

There is no reason to use flux if you can weld it without fluxing. I would suspect it wasn't at a high enough heat to take.

We are holding a forge welding master class on May 15th at Westpoint for any one interested

Borax is easily (and cheaply) available in the UK from chemists and ironmongers etc, it's used in laundry I believe.
Another common beginners' mistake is to strike the first few blows too hard, I think what happens is that the surface layers of molten metal get forced out rather than fusing. Remember that forge welding is closer to soldering or brazing than a true weld.

What i did was take it out the fire at orange heat(after folding), wire brushed then applied borax and let it melt in to the seams slightly....then i tried to forge weld it not to hard not too soft! ( with flux )

when i did it without flux i just left out the the flux.

alec

What i did was take it out the fire at orange heat(after folding), wire brushed then applied borax and let it melt in to the seams slightly....then i tried to forge weld it not to hard not too soft! ( with flux )

when i did it without flux i just left out the the flux.

alec

Not hot enough, needs reheating after fluxing to welding heat,

Just takes longer if you are using flux, flux is not essential.

There are occasions when some pieces won't weld either with or without flux, don't know why, but it happens.

That makes it difficult to make a positive reason for them not sticking, if heat is right, and applied pressure correct, then they should fuse.

Sorry can't be more helpful, but unless actually observing its quite difficult to identify specifics.

While the subject of why my weld didn't take comes up fairly frequently this time it's a bit harder to guess what's actually going on.

A couple things, unless you're an experienced forge welder you're saying you didn't hit it too hard or just right doesn't actually tell us anything. If you aren't experienced what are you basing your "just right" judgement on? Same for it being the right temp. This may just be my opinion but I have to wonder. If you have the experience to know what's a good temp and let it soak so it's hot where it counts. Which is what you imply when you say it was hot enough it makes me wonder why it didn't weld. If it's actually hot enough it should've welded provided you didn't clober the xxxx out of it.

About the borax, two questions: Is it the right borax? Here in the states we have two very different products made by the same company, the laundry additive borax which makes a dandy welding and brazing flux. The other product called Boraxo which is a hand cleaner and contains soap is an effective weld and braze blocker.

Are you SURE you didn't accidently buy Boraxo, whatever it's called on your side of the pond?

Flux question #2: did you appply too much? Too much flux will actually form a barrier between the steels preventing them from being forced close enough together to initiate the electron exchange that makes a weld.

Regardless, without being able to stand there and watch you I can't TELL you what's happening to prevent a weld. The possibilities are profoundly numerous, the most common being covered before I hit the keyboard and tossed in my tuppence.

If you can, find someone experienced to watch, or show you what to do. Or if it's your bent keep at it till you get it.

Stiff uppler lip and all that,
Frosty the Lucky

Yes, and I appreciate your story. I had to lift a 500 lb welding table out of the back of my pickup with the front-end loader on my tractor. I was very careful to check my coat everytime I got off the seat!

Glad to hear it!

As they say- Safety is no accident