I Forge Iron

CounterWeight Anvil?

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. Ive been lookin around tryin to find some railroad track or an anvil but with no avail. However i am part of the school stage crew and there are 50 pound stage counterwights. they are rectangular, about 6 inch by 12 inch by 2 inch and weigh 50 pounds. Has anyone ever heard of one of these being used as an anvil? do you think it would work? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks much!

Being that they are often flame cut steel or cast - cast iron... they will work fine, just a little grinding to take off sharp edges and the cut slag...

at 50# you must work in an old school counter weight house.. most modern weights are 18 or 36 lbs..

have fun with your brick,
Cliff..
starting my 11th year in the entertainment biz.. 6 th as a rigger..

Being that they are often flame cut steel or cast - cast iron... they will work fine, just a little grinding to take off sharp edges and the cut slag...

at 50# you must work in an old school counter weight house.. most modern weights are 18 or 36 lbs..

have fun with your brick,
Cliff..
starting my 11th year in the entertainment biz.. 6 th as a rigger..

The stage is fairly new, built about 6 years ago. we have 25 and 50 pounders.
once i got one of these and do the grinding should i weld it to like an i beam?

Had a moment.. forget they come in a bunch of sizes.. different parts of the US and world have different weights.. I worked a place where they still had lead weights...

you have choices.. an I beam will be loud and heavy ... a tree stump or trunk would do fine, ... depends on you portability factor..

if you have access to a welder.. a couple angle iron ears for bolting to a tree trunk or 12 by 12 ... or whatever

POST PICS!!
Cliff

Try it on edge, I think you'll be much happier. I know the edge seems too narrow, but it only needs to be as wide as your hammer face. It will be much more effective.

Ill try that, thanks. Illtry it both ways before i permanantly weld it to a beam or anything.

Hard to see the face condition. Looks to be a fisher. Anvil is probably about 125 lbs. Stump around 70 lbs. If its close enough I would go look at it.
Ken

i just sent the guy an email asking obout the face. im pretty broke tho so idk if i can afford it. its about an hour away

A Fisher is a good anvil, and quiet compared to a forged steel anvil. I have one that my Dad had bought, it is a 260# Fisher made in 1907.
Even if the top is rough you can still do a lot of work on it. I would cruise on over there, and look it over really good for damage. You can always offer less, say $100 and see what he says. An anvil for around $1 a pound isn't too bad nowadays. One thing though, if you make an offer make sure that you have the money on you. A crisp new Benjamin Franklin can do wonders sometimes ;)