I Forge Iron

A "small" sledgehammer :-)

I use a forge with a big oilburner, ( Diesel ) Dimension inside 1000 X 1000 X 500mm.

I started with a big skarapiron 154 X 154 X 85 and forge it 90 x 95 x 225
and than punch a small hole in it and than punch the hole bigger and bigger to fit the handle.

Than i forge it a little bit smaller in both ends and than i calibrate
all the measure to the fininshed size.

And ofcourse, i use my 500kg Beche

You need a coal forge man! A coal forge, even my little rivet forge, could heat something that size no problem. You just gotta pile on the coal and fill it right up, making sure to have walls on atleast two sides, to hold it all in!

I have a coal forge too :) , its just not setup in the new shop. Hopefully I'll get some time to get it up and running.

Here is one of my 500kg Beche´hammer i use daily in my shop

The sledgehammer i forge is only for my own fun, i usually dont
forge this cind of stuff. see, Karlskoga Hammar & Hejdarsmide HB - granbergsdal, karlskoga hammar & hejdarsmide hb, friformsmide, but-skruv, stuksmide, smide i rostfritt

You can click on this link to see a short movie from my shop
http://www.hammar-hejarsmide.se/hammarohejarsmide2.wmv

Kallsme´n

725.attach

Ed, I'd love too at least for a little while, its not easy for a Canadian to move to the US, especially to take a job that could go to an American. I can't even move down there with my small business, unless I'm able to provide jobs for at least 10 Americans. Your goverment try's and protects your jobs from us Canadians.

I'll just need to work on some rigging and a crane for my shop, according to the literature my Nazel will work 4" solid effeciently , biggest I've worked on it so far is 2" square and that got heavy quickly.

Maybe thats a better for question for Kallsme´n

Could you post some pictures of your various methods of rigging material? maybe some of the dangerous and safe ways of doing it

Kallsme'n

I was asking if you could take pictures of how you use chain and cranes to move big material for forging and the best ways to do it.

Explain how you use the crane to hold long material for forging on the big hammers. How to hook up the chain. were to put it, best ways to do it.

and any saftey concerns that a person should be aware of when forging with heavy material this way.