I Forge Iron

A "small" sledgehammer :-)

Kallsm'en,
Nice sledge hammer, when I was an apprentice at a shipyard we had a straight peen sledge that was 28 lb(12.7kg) and you could actually swing it at the anvil but it mainly got used for driving the keys (wedges) on the power hammer blocks. There had been a 56lb(25.5kg) straight peen sledge (what it was ever used for I don't know) in the shop but one of the strikers (hammer man)was asked to swing it by the leading hand on a job one day and they had an argument about it. Then it was morning tea break and the striker wheeled it down to the end of the pier on a hand trolley and threw it in the water never to be seen again. When he was questioned by the leading hand about it his reply was along the lines of "That's the last time I'm going to swing that so and so hammer". The leading hand huffed and puffed and went red in the face and all the other Blacksmiths and strikers told him if he really wanted it so much he'd better go and find it or make a new one and that was the end of the matter.
In the photos you posted of you working on the grey power hammer (how big is it by the way?) I can't see any hand controls and you're too far away to use the treadle, surely the driver is not on the other side of the hammer to you?
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Bruce

When i forge long details i use a long board ( wood ) to place on
the foot treaddle and than place the foot on to control the hammer.

The grey and the green hammer is the same hammer.
the grey picture is an earlier foto of the green.

the green is a 500kg, and i allso have another 500kg, one 300kg, one 200kg
and one 150kg, all Beche

738.attach

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. For those who haven't done the math 15Kg is 33 pounds. Take an ox to swing it.....more than once!

I've found since I acquired a blown 3 burner propane forge I am able to soak and heat bigger objects, my welds are much better, and it's is easy to control the atmosphere from reducing to oxidizing.