I Forge Iron

I got a truck! (My first.)

T-Gold

I bought this postal truck from a friend of mine... it's a 1984 AM General with only 50,000 miles on it. Automatic tranny and a rated load of 1/2 ton... yeah right! With the 250+ CI straight six in there I'm pretty sure it'll handle quite a bit more. Right hand drive, too! Needs only a few minor bits of work (plus registration) and it'll be back on the road.

702.attach

703.attach

704.attach

705.attach

706.attach

707.attach

G'Day Tyler ,
finaly got around ta getin' youseself some wheels .... Interesting ... not something i'd be takin' the girlfriend ta the drivein in , but .... :)

Ian say's it look's like an " icecream van " . Does it play tunes too ? ( greensleeves ? )

All jokes aside , good on youse bloke , a licence & wheels , what's next on the list .... :)

Dale

If its like the one I had, you are gonna have to watch the engine. Mine had a good bit of sludge that caused the rings to stick and lose power. Post office didn't change the oil or used the cheapest they could find. Congrats and good luck. BBB

Nice find, looks like it will hold quite a bit of stuff.
I just bought a project truck myself. It's a 1980 Ford DL. It started out life as an ambulance. It still has some of the orginal electronics in it. The body's in excellent shape. It's got a 460ci (we think) engine with 119,000 miles on it. With the heavy duty suspension and dual wheels, it should haul a lot also. It's a good thing the price of gas is going down... at least for now.
It's been sitting for a year, and I'm having a problem getting it started. I put fresh gas in it, but no luck. I don't think the gas is getting to the carb because it will fire when using starting fluid. Oh well, we'll get it figured out. I bought it cheap, so it won't hurt too bad to put a little money in it.

For the paint, I'm going to clean and reprime all the rusty areas, and then have a friend of mine who's a fantastic hand with a spraycan and a marker decorate the sides. I'll coat over that with clear polyurethane or something.

Engine runs strong, 3B, but does need an oil change -- that is HIGH on my list of priorities for it.

Dale P, you check the fuel filters?

T-Gold -- I tried again last night and got it started so I could drive it home. Just had to play with the carburetor a bit. But, the filters would have been next, followed by the fuel pump if that didn't work. It stalled a couple of times when I first got it on the road, but for the next 10 miles to the house, it ran fine.

Good luck with your truck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nice score bloke.

for the hood ornament think of doing an anvil to whack on it?

or mabey a big hammer...

a mandrel cone. (going on the unicorn idea)

mabey a big spike :) need a parking spot?? ;)

anyways.

you'll think of somethin.

from Brett AKA pcII75

• 4 weeks later...

That a stainless or aluminum counter? looks like agood fit. How about a three dimensional relief of a man swinging a hammer at an anvil? might be a bit of a challenge, but i tend to go for the hard stuff anyway.

BTW, what is that little beauty next to it. reminds me of an old 53 merc I had in another life.