I Forge Iron

railroad rail

So what can i do with rail. A guy just moved into the space next door to my shop and as a day job works for CSX. Well he saw some track ive had laying around for years and said " hey man I can get ya all kinds of that stuff" well sure enough he did and now its starting to stack up.
Any ideas of what to do with it. I think i read on here they dont make good anvils and I already have one. so boat anchor, paper weights, steel toe checker. They are just cut offs 1, 2 3 foot chunks 'bout 8" tall.

All ideas welcome Marc

heck talk really nice to the man he may bring you some of that "spring " steel they use to hold down some of the track!

If you're talking about the clover shaped things I have tons of those. I also have lots of the track plates, spickes, bolts and the big brackets that tie the track together, I don't know what they're called but they're big chunks of steel.

If you're talking about the clover shaped things I have tons of those. I also have lots of the track plates, spickes, bolts and the big brackets that tie the track together, I don't know what they're called but they're big chunks of steel.

hmmmm....I could use a track plate. My anvil doesn't have a hardy hole, so need something to weld a chunk of square tubing to to use with hardy tools...

Or make a smithing magician on...

David

rr rail is just steel in a shape different from bar stock. Cut pieces off to forge into whatever you want...hardy tools for example can be made by cutting the bottom flanges off and fitting the web to the hardy hole on the diagonal. Time consuming, but thin slices of rail make good inserts for gates and railings as a decorative element. Artistically, someone made horse head sculptures out of whole rail.

I have a two foot section of rail that sits in the corner of my shop. At least twice a week i look upon it and wonder what could be done with it. I never think of anything worthwhile concerning the section of rail but the process sets my brain to wandering and i soon think of all manner of other clever things. If this much inspiration can be generated by such a diminutive piece of this material then i can only imagine (and indeed i may) what kind of creative mental provocation the amount you posses is capable of imbuing. Leave it, that's what i say. Put it in a prominent location - somewhere that you are forced to see it every day - in only a few short weeks you may very well unlock the secrets of the universe. Or scrap it.

....hardy tools for example can be made by cutting the bottom flanges off and fitting the web..

That is a good thought. A 6 or 8 inch section of rail could have the bottom flange removed, then it would fit into the vise on a Civil War era Traveling Forge for use in hammering or forge welding small items in situations where the smith needs to protect the viewing public from splatter by shielding the public with his body. Interesting usage. :D

So what can i do with rail. I think i read on here they dont make good anvils

I can't think why a piece of rail wouldn't make a decent anvil. Probably better steel than most anvils were a few hundred years ago. Maybe not up to flogging with a sledge but for up to 3/4"-1" no problem. Screw right thru the flange into a stump. Grind the top flat. Go to work. Why not?

I have four short lengths beside my shed and I am having difficulty to lifting one of them. I was thinking of using a length for the anvil part of a power hammer. Has anyone used rail successfully for this purpose as I notice the most commom use is 3 inch round bar for the anvil.

Counter weight for a trebuchet. Rail weights x (different rail different weight) per foot, cut in 1' and 6 " sections, and vary the range of you treb... then I can take over the World!! MWQWWAHAHAHAHAHHHA...

oh wait.. that was my outside voice.....