I Forge Iron

show me your anvil!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up my 1st Fisher today. A 1937 Sawyers pattern. I purchased it about 3 months ago from a gentleman who lives around 800 miles away from where I live. He sent it with his friend this week who was on a trip out my way so I paid nothing for shipping (actually I gave the guy $40 for it taking up space in his truck-he was very happy with that). There are no weight markings, but from the dimensions I figure it weighs approximately 350 pounds.

post-4446-0-00577700-1307416272_thumb.jp post-4446-0-30415000-1307416223_thumb.jp post-4446-0-39731700-1307416186_thumb.jp post-4446-0-82627400-1307416121_thumb.jp post-4446-0-32161400-1307416079_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

This is my anvil for now, its home-made and it works. 3" thick AR400 top plate over mild steel. Saving for an new(er) one or just a real one.

added a horn and Added some new toys 90lb vulcan and an 83lb steel anvil(possibly swedish).

post-15800-0-78815900-1309104097_thumb.j

post-15800-0-87978600-1309104111_thumb.j

All I know about my anvil is that it was an "Army" anvil. No ring, but the rebound is fantastic. I know it's cast as the 100 on one foot is raised. It also has bolt hole projections on opposite corners of the base. Right now, I am using an old Civil Defense water storage can filled with sand and the avil is bolted to a chunk of plywood to keep it floating on top.

Anvilstand3.jpgNew-ishTools.jpgAnvilstand1.jpg

I can't really find any other markings on it.

Regards,
Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim

Your anvil is a late model FISHER, made during the Crossley era of production(1962-1979). The lugs are meant for bolting it down to a stand.

Many FISHER anvils were made for the US Government. I have paperwork for orders of 50 - 150 anvils at a time. Government orders kept the business alive as blacksmithing was slowing down after WW2. Of course Clark Fisher wrote the specifications for anvils for the government way back when. So they were almost forced to order only Fisher anvils, the only ones that met the specs.

Mainly is there a serial number on them, I've looked and without stripping off what looks like protective coating, the only thing is the raised '100' on the foot.

Regards,
Tim

No, FISHER did not serial number their anvils. They dated 'most' of them between 1880 and 1942. Before and after, and some during did not have dates. Manufacture date is also obtained by looking at the logo or lack of one, and the style.

Do not take off any more of the paint. It looks factory original.

No, FISHER did not serial number their anvils. They dated 'most' of them between 1880 and 1942. Before and after, and some during did not have dates. Manufacture date is also obtained by looking at the logo or lack of one, and the style.

Do not take off any more of the paint. It looks factory original.

Oh, I haven't touched it and now that I know there isn't anything to find, I won't. :D At least I know more than I did. The anvil was a gift from a friend who has since lost his battle with cancer, so it will stay within our circle of friends and not be sold. :)

Regards,
Tim

Thanks for pictures of the Army anvil!! I learned on one about like it that Sergeant R.L. Richmond still had when I served my apprenticeship with him in the sixties. Sad bit of history:A truck load of the things was dumped into the Kaw River outside of Fort Riley,Kansas,after the Cavalry was disbanded. I suppose they're still there,protected under tons of the mud that the Kaw moves annually!

Hey guys show me your anvils!

Don't tease, it is just my first until I build up the funds to get a real anvil, I made my entire shop in a semester of advanced welding at school. The face of the anvil is a wear plate from a payloader. The base and middle part are beams that held up an awning in front of my high school. The horn was donated to me from my shop teacher, because he had an extra one to spare. It is easily over 100#, and does what I need it to for now :D !

post-22201-0-12947400-1310442857_thumb.j

Don't tease, it is just my first until I build up the funds to get a real anvil, I made my entire shop in a semester of advanced welding at school. The face of the anvil is a wear plate from a payloader. The base and middle part are beams that held up an awning in front of my high school. The horn was donated to me from my shop teacher, because he had an extra one to spare. It is easily over 100#, and does what I need it to for now :D !

I won't tease you about your anvil, many people have started with worse, including me. Work with what you got is one way to put it. I will tease you about that dog looking like "What are you pointing that thing at me for?" kind of look. :D

Regards,
Tim

Fred; that home made anvil looks lovely and will be so handy as a tooling plate when you move onto a different anvil---but probably already have a slew of tools that fit your plate!

Is that a tong groove on the horn? If so it was probably the top of a 2 piece cone or one of the hardy cones.

This pic has already been put into the "brazeal anvil rising" thread which is where I got the inspiration on how to make this anvil.

It started its life as a bottom die plate in a plant that makes parts for Mercedes.

Its 2" thick, 6" tall, and 14" wide, it weighs in (originally, I dunno about now after its been used and replaced) at 62lbs

Has a hole on either side that run all the way through, hole is a neat 1/2 inch round.

It still needs a little work, we're planning on using a flapper disc to soften the edges a bit and make attachments that will drop into those holes. Including small sections of pipe to use for bending and such. I've read a few times where some people like having a true round for a bend than a horn to prevent twisting. I dunno about all that, but for me it will be done out of necessity :)

Anyway, don't knock it too much, Its all I have atm!

brazanvil.jpg

Anyway, don't knock it too much, Its all I have atm!

Unforgivun,

Nothing to knock, I started with less and my second anvil was very similar. Now I have a 100# Fisher and I'm happy as can be, but I did a lot of good work with the previous anvils. Keep at it and know that now, you can be patient for a traditional anvil. :D

Regards,
Tim

Fred; that home made anvil looks lovely and will be so handy as a tooling plate when you move onto a different anvil---but probably already have a slew of tools that fit your plate!

Is that a tong groove on the horn? If so it was probably the top of a 2 piece cone or one of the hardy cones.

I believe that it was a hardy cone, but I'm not sure, and yes, the holes in it are very useful, I made a hot cut hardy, bending fork, and a light duty fuller, that all fit. Other kids in my class made a grill. I brought in some hot dogs after i finished my forge and anvil, and cooked them up on some charcoal. It was pretty awesome.