I Forge Iron

Finding large cable for cablemascus?

CBrann

I live in Connecticut and have contacted several scrap yards and cable suppliers in the state looking for large diameter bare wire cable (steel wire rope for the purists) for pattern welding. Since I am not interested in buying thousands of feet, I get no answer from the suppliers, and the scrap yards are pretty much closed to selling.

I have no issue paying for it, but paying bust out retail, then having it shipped is more than my hobby can support right now.

Suggestions, ideas, commiseration?

And while I am on the subject what are other peoples preferences for cable size, wire diameter, lay, composition etc. Maybe this way I'll find out some things I never thought of.

thanks
Cliff

well i been the drilling bussness most of my life, we have seen cable up to 4". nornal drilling line is 1 1/8" up to 1 1/2" but 1/8 to 1" is used on rigs. if ya know a roughneck, talk to them...we have a slip and cut ton mile system so usually their is several hundred feet of cut cable on a location.most is tar coated..some is plastic, but all drilling line is steel core.we use 6 X 19 eips whitch is comperable to 1095 i am told. i have a few pieces, but the patch is down and no work for 8 months, but if i come across some i'll let ya know,jimmy

Thomas... elevator service company... brilliant.. I see a guy that works for the local Otis maintenance co every week at least... I wouldn't call us friends... but we have shared a couple meals

Bruce how is the best way to get a hold of Darren, through here?

Jimmy, being in Eastern Connecticut is a long haul from the nearest oil well.. best I can do is a see tanker of fuel oil or gasoline at the dock or in the Sound.....

I do appreciate the suggestions and will try to put them to good use!

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing this thread sparked a memory from about six months ago a friend who is a crane operator, gave me some 10', 1" dia. of herring bone pattered lay, when his company re cabled his crane.(if i was faster in asking i could have had the whole spool but turns out that one of their yard workers took it home to use as fencing for his horses.) Then this also sparked a memory from about a month ago on another job site a tower crane operator had his lines get snagged on some rebar and kinked some strands. Safety dept. said that it was no longer reliable so they re strung his crane. It sat on the ground in the bone yard for about a week, i pretty much forgot about it then seen it in the metal recycle bin the following week. i started brain storming on how to get it home but got distracted with work and forgot about it until now, of course. :rolleyes: