I Forge Iron

converting a post drill

I recently purchased a old Silver Manufactoring Post Drill and it has the old screw in Chuck . and I want to convert it to a modern chuck. and don't know anything about the chuck that I need and so forth and was hoping someone on here could let me know what size I need and some do's and Don'ts. They have the sizes listed as # 2 chucks or # 3 chucks and that doesn't help me and I don't want to order the wrong size.. Thanks in advance..Tom

Edited by WagonMaster

what i have done thats super simple on chucks for old drill presses is just get a new chuck thats femail threaded, put a grade 8 bolt in it, cut the head off then just "chuck" the new chuck in the old chuck, the old chuck was simpy a half inch hole with a set screw, so this was pretty easy, i did grind a little receving notch in the bolt for the set screw of the bolt

Tom, perhaps you could provide a picture of the vise. While some of us might not recognize the brand and description, a photograph might stimulate memories and thought.

A vise with a chuck? If what you meant was a drill-press, around here people just stuck a Jacobs chuck up into the grip of the older chuck. That way the historical aspect of the old chuck is not lost, and not a lot of time and money is spend on the modernization. :D

Edited by UnicornForge

I recently purchased a old Silver Manufactoring Post Vise and it has the old screw in Chuck . and I want to convert it to a modern chuck.

A post vise squeezes two jaws against a piece of work via a screw. Also called a leg vise or blacksmith vise or post vise.

A post drill inserts holes into metal by stock removal. A post drill is powered by a hand cranked wheel and enough open gears to look medieval and scare some adults. Many times it was mounted to the post of a post and beam building, or today to the walls of the smithy.

As far as converting it to a modern chuck, deliver it to Big Chimney. I have modern today's style and type electric in the shop, I will change my name to Chuck, and the problem will be solved. (grin)

For larger bits, use Silver and Deming bits. Grind a little flat for the set screw on the original chuck to engage. Will not slip when drilling.

As stated, find the size chuck you need, use the bolt as a shank method. Chuck it up into the old chuck.

Now,as an aside, how many chucks can a blacksmith chuck, if a blacksmith could chuck chucks? LOL

"I" know what you mean, but Silver & Demming make all kinds of drill bits, straight shank, reduced shank, morse taper etc. And lots of folks make 1/2" shank bits for sizes over 1/2. The hard part is all the bits under 1/2, there you just about have to have a chuck.

A post vise squeezes two jaws against a piece of work via a screw. Also called a leg vise or blacksmith vise or post vise.

A post drill inserts holes into metal by stock removal. A post drill is powered by a hand cranked wheel and enough open gears to look medieval and scare some adults. Many times it was mounted to the post of a post and beam building, or today to the walls of the smithy.

As far as converting it to a modern chuck, deliver it to Big Chimney. I have modern today's style and type electric in the shop, I will change my name to Chuck, and the problem will be solved. (grin)

This wasn't funny enough to make me laugh.................but it did raise a chuckle.

Being that your post drill is a slow turner (not good for real small bits) and you are likely to find large bits over the years which have larger shanks than 1/2", I would go with a 1/8"-3/4" capacity chuck, preferably a Jacobs. Even then, I don't think I would use a 1/8" bit in a post drill, too likely to break.

Many years ago I had a post drill and it had two speed gearing, so small bits were actually useful in it. I also had a home made "grinder" ala Wygers, a wood disk with an abrasive disk glued on to the face mounted on an old wash machine motor. Anyway, it had a small pulley on the shaft and I long-spliced a rope to drive the drill (there was a groove in the flywheel), what a Rube Goldberg, but it worked.

"I" know what you mean, but Silver & Demming make all kinds of drill bits, straight shank, reduced shank, morse taper etc. And lots of folks make 1/2" shank bits for sizes over 1/2. The hard part is all the bits under 1/2, there you just about have to have a chuck.

Grant, I understand, I didn't elaborate much.

Ok, I'll explain what I meant for everyone's sake. At places like Harbor Freight or Grizzly tools, you can usually get a decent set of "generic" S&D bits for short money. They would work for occasional use.

Or, check out Grainger or MSC and get more better quality ones, either by the set or as singles. If they were gonna be in service every day for production.

My main point is that there are lots of options other than fitting a chuck if need be.

Personally, for occasional use, I would get a set of the HABA FLATE cheapies for the larger sizes. Under 1/2", I'd find a chuck for them, and mount it using a bolt shank.

Luckily, I've found quite a number of the post drill bits in various sizes ready to go in boxes of junk at flea markets. Just a little sharpening on a few and they are good to go.

Safety Warning: I met a knifemaker who had converted his hand crank post drill to electric to save money by not buying a drill press. Once when he was drilling a fussy piece with it he reached up to advance the bit while watching the workpiece and fed his fingers into the gearing. Result: about 6 months complete downtime and tens of thousands of dollars of micro surgery trying to save the fingers and years later when he told me about it they still did not work well.

Money saved: negative 5 figures!