I Forge Iron

i need some advice on knife handles.

You can use copper or brass rod or even go fancy! I know a lot of folk who use brazing rod.

Been knifemaking about 29 years now and have never used a flypress for riviting---a hammer seems to work fine for me.

Some delicate materials folks don't even swage the ends of the rivets but coat them with epoxy and gently push them in place.

I just use a good quality epoxy for the pins, I make them a few thou smaller than the hole, and rough up the outside of the pin with some emery paper.

If the epoxy is good enough to hold aeroplanes together its good enough for my knives ;)

Edited by John N

• 1 month later...

I rivet my handle scales on with copper or steel, usually copper grounding wire of the kind that is used on power poles. I drill a hole the exact size of the wire, I cut a section of wire about 1/4" longer than the entire handle (tang included) is wide. I then begin peening out one side of the wire, I haven't put the wire through the handle yet. I am just freehand peening on side, then I taper the opposite end back down to the original size.

Then I insert the wire through the handle/tang/handle cut it off maybe 1/8" from the outside handle scale, if there is too much material on the second peen you can crack the handle scales.

I have never had any of my handles slip or shift, even though I don't epoxy. But the downside of the way I do this is it looks rather old fashioned.

I have attached an image, I apologize in advance for the poor image quality I took the image on a webcam.

19594.attach

Edited by Rhyfelwr

You may try annealing the ends of the rivet, if you are really having to whack them to get them to upset. Upset one end before putting it together. Then use the ball end of a ball peen hammer , and start upsetting the rivet. Tap in a circular motion starting on the outer edge. This should spread the rivet until it fills the hole tightly.