I Forge Iron

Scrap Yard Won't Sell Scrap Metal!!!!

How responsive and how good to deal with a large corporation or a governmental entity can vary widely.  Walmart or a state government may not be worth the hassle for a small business person but a particular agency or a local government may be a much better deal.  I have seen situations like what Frosty describes, usually the larger the company or entity the worst it is, and I have seen local governments cut checks the same week an invoice is received.

Even individuals can stiff you.  Oddly, the more well off someone is it seems the more difficult they are for being timely with paying their debts.  That is not always true but it is often enough to be a rule and to remark on the exceptions.

Also, when taking an order from a business ask if their invoices are paid locally or if they are sent off to a regional or national office for payment.  If the latter, expect a long turn around time.

For specialized commissions I suggest at least 50% up front and 50% on delivery.  That way, you don't eat all cost of time and materials (or legal action for breach of contract) if they change their mind or refuse delivery or drop off the face of the earth.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2022 at 9:30 PM, George N. M. said:

Even individuals can stiff you.  Oddly, the more well off someone is it seems the more difficult they are for being timely with paying their debts.  That is not always true but it is often enough to be a rule and to remark on the exceptions.

The wealthy get wealthy by not parting with money.

I find with our customers that the more expensive the cars in the car park are the more they will plead poverty and chase a bigger discount.

Frosty, it was the same owners. They went bust after I stopped dealing with them.

It's quite interesting because they were one of these large facilities companies with loads of government contracts. I don't know about the US but in the UK large companies have to be audited and at the moment the auditors are being taken to court for not flagging up the issues they were having.

When the company went bust it took down a lot of smaller businesses.

These facilities companies really wind me up  they have zero assets,  typically zero experience in doing the actual work and a massive marketing team that wins tenders that they just sub out to people who can do the work and take a big slice off the top.

• 8 months later...

Dax- those companies sound as bad as the defense contractors I have to deal with for the military. We have a team that tell all the officers that they're a Depot level maintenance team, and yet I personally have more experience repairing our missile launchers than their entire 8 man team combined. Yet I make about 1/3 of the money as any one of them. and I get looked down on by their people... Untill I walk over and fix the  issue they're saying needs 10 more hours and $150k in parts, with a Leatherman and no parts... Multiple times in a day...

(I know older post, just browsing through the site and saw this bit.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The scrap yard in my area is actually pretty good. They wont sell you scrap, but when you bring your truck in with a bunch of scrap and see something you like, they will let you throw it in the back of your truck and whey you weigh out its just steel for steel.

• 1 month later...

Well, I hit paydirt this morning.  I finally stopped at a scrapyard I have been driving by and eyeballing for some time and asked if they sell.  I instantly hit it off with the first guy I met walking in.  It's a kind of strange place, no "office", just a scalehouse and some outbuildings but the place is huge.  Several acres of junk cars and old construction equipment, etc.... and a larger area of general junk.  The yard workers converted an old ballast tamping machine into a break area, shade umbrellas, coffee maker.  It never hurt's to ask...:)  I'm going to go back and take some pictures, the place is odd.  I brought home a few token buys, but I really wasn't prepared for the assortment of stuff they had.  I need a truck.  It is only a few miles away, too.  It doesn't replace the old railcar wreck site I used to haunt back home though...  yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, but those places can be dangerous, e.g. the stuff piled up on top of the yellow loader.  I see some rings to the right of the front wheel of the loader that would make dandy mandrels for forging various sized rings.  Keep the guys there happy with you.  Bring them coffee, doughnuts, beer (on Friday afternoons), and make them things like bottle openers and key fobs.  A happy scraper is a blacksmith's best friend.  Also, once you have established yourself in their good graces tell there is a case of beer or a box of doughnuts in it for them if they alert you if something particularly good, like an anvil or a bundle of tongs, come in.

"By hammer and hand allarts do stand."

I haunted junkyards and old trainwreck sites back home for some time but thanks for the reminder.  Pull one little piece out and the whole wreckage comes falling down.  Or trip and fall down without gloves and cut your hands up.  Safety first.

I broke my own usual procedure for gaining future access my first visit and offered the guy a cash tip.  I forgot to bring anything as a thank you.   Don't ever do that.  I got the sideways look.  They might get into trouble for taking money.  This time took them lunch from a food truck.  I'll make them something for next time.

I have to admit, the alert idea is a GOOD one, I never considered.  Thanks.

Back in OH I had a small welding shop half a block from my smithy.  They were very fond of a six pack of "brown pop" around 5pm on a hot summer day. Always made sure it was only 1 cold bottle per worker and could "trade" for a substantial amount of welding to a much better skill level than I had...

Brown pop needs to be late on a Friday afternoon, and only one per person.  You do not want to get into trouble with the management on company time, or the cops on the way home.

Donuts and cookies are good anytime.