I Forge Iron

A couple new ones.

Askdamice

Hello:

Not bad...not bad at all...Isn't the jute a little rough on the hands? or am I confusing it with sisal?? What were these hammered out of? Just curious...

Either way the whole package works....I really like the leatherwork you did...(mine sucks...no bones about it my leatherworking skills bite...) is that hand stiched or machine sewn?

Looks good...

JPH

Thanks guys...

Here are the specs:
Material - 5160, handforged
Thickness - 3/16 " at spine, flat ground, convex secondary bevel.
Blade length - 4"-4 1/2" cutting edge.
Blade width - 1 3/8" at widest.
OA length - 9"-8 1/2"
Sheath - 10oz. vegetable tanned cowhide, hand stitched, tooled and riveted

To expand on the handles a bit... They are jute wrapped and soaked in West Systems 105/207 epoxy. The outside fibres may get a little fuzzy but its on there for life. You would have to chisel it off in chunks. Think of it as "wrapped burlap micarta". They are suprizingly comfortable and very grippy when wet.

Rick

Really nice work. The parts all "fit" to make a nice concept and tool.

I like it a lot. I agree with the leather comments, too. I am having enough of a time learning to work iron and steel. These additions of leather, wood, copper, brass ... not to mention photography.

I have always been impressed by the skills you guys have, but the more I try it myself, the more I recognize your artistry.

very well done.

kevin

Hey JPH,
when I get a chance to get over to your place, I can take a look at your leatherworking set up. If I can teach leatherworking to 11 year old Boy Scouts, I should be able to help you out :P Mom taught me how to do leatherworking, and she started around 1952. It is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it, and goes with knife making.

I bet he used a marking tool to lay out punch holes for stitching. That's the only way my leather work looks like anything other than "functional" I have had poor luck with direct stitching through leather even using a sail makers palm. The thread is also laying in a neat groove.

Ain't west system great?
Phil

Yes.... I use basic tools that help everything line up. Here is a quick overview..

1. My tools from left to right: Stitching palm, pliers, freehand stitch groover, guided stitch groover, edge bevel and an overstitch wheel.

2. Use the stitch groover to set your lines and recess the thread in the leather for protection.

3. Roll your overstitcher to set spacing.

4. Useing a drillpress is much easier than punching through thick leather by hand. I put a polished pin in the chuck that is slightly bigger than my sewing needle.

5. Use the beveler to make the edge nice. (doesn't matter when you do this step)

6. On the opposite side, use the stitch groover to "connect the dots".

7. Run the overstitcher across it to line everything up for stitching.

8. My stitching hand is packed full of goodies... the stich palm for pushing, the pliers for pulling and of course, the needle and thread. (sorry about the ugly stained fingers... lol)

16745.attach

16746.attach

16747.attach

16748.attach

16749.attach

16750.attach

16751.attach

16752.attach

I'm sorry but I have never liked cord handles. To me they look dull and boring. I like vibrant wood handles or carved antler. If I had made those beautiful blades (I'm not that skilled yet) I would have stuck tiger wood on them and stained them red, and then buff them to a high polish. But that is just me.