I Forge Iron

Flash floods in Ptree's area

ptree

Louisville, and S. Indiana got extreme rain this morning.
My area is getting drowned in rain today. Louisville has severe flash flooding due to 6.5" in 75 minutes.
And the second round is just now approaching from the north. It is predicted to maybe bring another 6.6 to 7.5" this afternoon.
My house is safe up on a hill, but many have backflowing sewage and such rushing into basements. My drive is severely erroded, and the short road is impassable as of this morning due to flowing water.
I may be stuck at work tonight.

I write this from Home. The second round fizzled with only about 1-2", and the creek dropped. Round three is due in a couple of hours. Only damage to house was one piece of trim, which is already reinstalled. 100 tons or so of gravel washed out of the drive, a couple of hours with the tractor and about half is more or less back in place.
Thanks for the concern.

ThomasP, The Mighty Mississippi is a long way from New Mexico, got a plan to snag them? If so I can maybe send care packages for the land of the big scrap yard. My shop equipment is of course on the very highest point on the property. The house is about 6' lower in elevation. One has to get the priorities right.

ThomasP, If my equipment floats down the river from a flood, it is way too late to build an ark. My shop is about 1000+' above the nearest river.

The drive is still too wet to finish rebuilding. Not supposed to rain much in the next few days, not over an inch, so I may be able to rebuild before the weekend.

Didn't you experience another "weather event" just a little while ago? I seem to recall trees blown down all over the place. Of course now mother nature, wishing to strike the proper balance, is watering the stuffings out of the sprouting tree seeds.

Glad you're on a hill though I don't know if I want to ever use your driveway. If you're 1,000' above the nearest river and your drive is washing out it's just too scary for me! :o

Glad you're safe, please stay so.

Frosty

Frosty, I have had a "wonderful" year weatherwise. Hurricane IKE blew up from the gulf, and brought sustained winds of 80 to 100 mph. No power for a week and tress down everywhere. House OK That was Last fall. Then Ice storm, lost many more trees, power out for a week, and my outdoor wood heater , new! got mostly crushed by a tree.
Now the floods.

My drive runs up and down and around, I am back off the little county lane about 1500' of drive. There are two neighbors who share 600' of the drive. House and shop is on top of knobs, the drive runs across 2 knobs and down in 3 valleys. That is how the washouts.

We have had way mor rain this summer than usual. The forrest looks like a jungle. By August, we are usually browning out on the grass and trees. It looks like early May out there. We had a July with never 90 or above, first since records kept. Second coldest July on record here.

I do have a surplus of firewood:) and fire wood prices are way down here. My woodburner is restored, and even if the winter is cold my fuel supply is well in place. Just the wood cut to clear drives and yard is enough for 2 or 3 years, and I have 10 or 20 times that much down in the woods.

I am directly across the river from Louisville, 1.62 miles off I-64. Just above New Albany, in Floyds Knobs. The Hoosier Forrest is about 20 to 30 miles west of me.
I will be down more in your part of the State on Saturday, doing a demo in Spencer County, near Rockport. Lincohn Bicentineal Bash with Bluegrass music competition, antique farm equipment etc. At Honey Creek Farm in Grandview. Not busy, stop in.