I Forge Iron

How I got a good Deal.. My Techniques.

Tom Lumpkins

Don't act like you are interested in it for it's purpose. Or act like you don't know what it is.

"That Anvil would look good on my porch, but I wouldn't pay $X for an anvil to sit on my porch"

"I have never seen a vice (post vice) like that, but I could use it on the farm, if I could afford it" [everyone knows farmers these days have no money :)]

Or just look cheap, and ask for a deal. I am good at looking cheap it is my daily dress.

I show genuine interest but am ALWAYS willing to walk away if the price is not reasonable or the seller is not truly motivated. I frequently buy at auctions so will set my limit ahead of time and I never deviate - the same goes for face-to-face sales. In addition, an experienced seller usually knows if he has you hooked or not but many times, it's simply the art of the deal. Lots of people enjoy buying and selling so everybody wins if both parties are happy in the end. The people who irritate me the most are the ones who are just looking to find out what their stuff is worth with no real desire to sell it - those folks are the worst sort of time wasters.

I got the exact opposite advice on buying blacksmithing tools. Tell them you know exactly what it is for. If they want $100, tell them: I will give you $80 for it, and I will actually *use* it.

Seems to me that would be enough of a story for the dealer to justify the discount.

-Doug

Ok so I learned that if a fella drressed like a farmer walks up to my knife table he is gonna try and get in my pocket? Or if he says he wants knife to sit on is front porch,,,guard my wallet......? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The thread addresses Antique Shops, are you selling "Antiques made to Order" again Rich?

I was thinking along the vein of Blacksmithing Tools.

I got the exact opposite advice on buying blacksmithing tools. Tell them you know exactly what it is for. If they want $100, tell them: I will give you $80 for it, and I will actually *use* it.

Seems to me that would be enough of a story for the dealer to justify the discount.

-Doug

It might seem that way to someone who uses such things but to collectors it's a rare and valuable antique and worth much much, more than you think it is.

I've been told so point blank at antique shops. The stuff you see there is far more valuable as a decoration than being used in some dirty old shop.

I don't spend much time in antique shops anymore.

Frosty

Actually I've had antique dealers call me up trying to get rid of anvils because they are not in their shop's category. Called a friend hunting for an anvil and he ended up with a 150# PW for US$90; but he had to go unload it from the dealer's van...

If I find something I'm interested in I might ask the prices on other things to get a feel for how much they are pricing things for and ask about the anvil later rather than fixating on the anvil to start and watching their eyes start to glow red and the smell of burning sulfur waft about..

Edited by ThomasPowers

I never bother with antique dealers; they may know the price of everything but they know the value of nothing. They are parasites.

Pretty strong generalization.... Wife and I dealt in antiques back in the mid 90's, was in it for close to 15 years and priced our mechandise to make a profit but not rape the buyer. We had 2 booths in 2 different antique malls and every dealer in both malls were honest and did cut deals when they were treated right. When the arrogant buyer came in and started running their merchadise down saying it was in bad repair, missing this or that, 'I can get it for 1/2 that in Little Rabbitt, Aus' Then I can promise you they would pay full price if they really wanted it. Antique shops are really not the best place to buy blacksmith tools, yes, on occasion you will run across something, like ThomasP mentioned---not fitting in their catagory, but for the norm it ain't the place. And yes, the good ones do know what it is worth.

When I go to buy a particular BS tool I will most always offer less than the asking price, but not so less that it ticks them off. I have lucky in some cases where I got it for my offer and have been told 'no, this is my price, can't go any lower'. I can either buy it or say thanks and walk away. Most cases the seller knows I will use it and not just collecting the stuff, I tell them that up front. Just my MO. Edited by Thomas Dean

I periodically find tools and useful items at "antique malls" at decent prices, not often but sometimes.

When talking to someone about the price on an item, I aim to be polite and respectful. Usually I will ask what their best price is.

Edited by UnicornForge

I would offer with respect and dignity. Be willing to bargain, and walk away. Its not a good deal till you both think you got something over on the other. ( I say this laughing not seriously) Oh and have cash!! Cash is after all king...

1. Never, ever salivate or tremble when you find that item you really want, sellers pick up on this and will raise the asking price if not marked. After all, they would not be there if they weren't trying to make money.

2. If the price is a steal, then steal it. Don't make any comments within hearing distance of the seller about how cheap said item was. If you do, the price will double on the next like item seller has, affecting either you or another blacksmith's luck of acquisition at reasonable prices.

3. When haggling, set a limit, as Hollis stated, and stick to it. If the seller won't come down in price to your threshold, keep searching for whatever tool you want.

4. Remember that sometimes, certain like tools can be purchased new for just a few dollars more. Do the math on it, and buy accordingly.

5. Play dumb. Some sellers at flea markets and antique mall don't know what they have and price accordingly. Look for and take advantage of this. If they ask if you know what it is, just reply "Nope, but I like the looks of it. Will look good hanging on the wall". They love to hear that, makes 'em feel good.