I Forge Iron

just bought a couple of anvils-have questions

The first is a Hay Budden in great shape. It weighs 1?0 pounds -middle number missing and I do not have a scale, for $175. The second one is a beautiful 160# JHM Journeyman farrier anvil. It came with a folding stand, single burner gas forge, hardies, tongs, etc all in great shape for $250.

Question #1 Hay Budden SN-A20753 year made?

Question #2 I heard that JHM changed materials in the anvils, but when? The farrier told me his was a good one, and it was made in 1997. It does ring nice, so I will need to find a big speaker magnet for this one for sure, and put it on a stump to deaden the sound. I have enough Tinnitus as it is :(

Thanks in advance.

Do you have pictures?

Have you tried taking a rubbing of the HB? You can also rub chalk into it and then wipe it off to enhance old lettering.

All in all I'd say you did quite well, either anvil is high quality.

Frosty

I have to get some computer issues dealt with first.

I always had good luck deadening ring by sticking a good sized speaker magnet under the heel of the anvil.

The middle number is totally gone, and the others are fairly light. I never could understand how the sides of an anvil get beat up that far down. Seen it more than once.

Any idea on when the Hay Budden was made?

Thanks for the info Thomas. That puts it right with a couple of others I have; 1907 Fisher Eagle and a 1922 Swedish. Don't worry, I love old equipment and tools. My main lathe is a 1946 18.5 x 54 Monarch, and it is still tight. It came out of a shop where it was used sparingly, and all of the equipment was taken VERY well care of.