I Forge Iron

Barbecue fork turned....

Well, it was GOING to be a weenie roaster. 3/8" square, tapered and split tines, had 'em nice and even with nice curved bends.

While deciding what type handle I wanted to make I thought I'd try my first pineapple twist for the middle. Somewhere around the middle of creasing the third side I got it a little too hot. Well, I got it a LOT too hot and only the lower half came out of the fire.

After a short discussion with myself about my intelligence level I decided all was not lost. Referring to the copy of The Iron Menagerie given my a couple of weeks ago by my friend/mentor I decided I had a decent start on a steer head.
It also just happened that this morning's work included making some of the shaped carving chisels and punches for the projects shown in the book.

Anyway, here's how my hot dog fork finally turned out. I'll probably drill mounting holes and drift them square for the nails I've made with my new nail header.

15939.attach

15940.attach

15942.attach

15943.attach

Good RDC, it seems speaking to yourself is becoming a habit a lot of us are picking up, problem is, I think we might not be saying nice things, and we might hurt our feelings, this at least will keep us from being lonely,
Hi, How am I? I'm fine, Thank me!!

I've always measured skill level as much by how well a person can save a project as by how many s/he gets right the first time. Quick changes of direction is a good skill set.

Good save and redirect.

Well done Yancey.

Frosty

Looks Good Yance, Did you make your nail header,, Thanks for sharing with us..

Wagon Master;

Yep, I made it (crudely) from a piece of about 3/8" thick leaf spring. Drew out the handle then domed the head end with a ball pein over the hole in a piece of lathe drop I found at the scrapyard, driving it with a "softer" hammer. Cheated and drilled an undersize hole, then used my square punch to drift it to size.

I have "refined" the tool since these pics so it doesn't look quite so "crude". Doesn't work any better, but it looks better.:rolleyes:

15984.attach

15985.attach

15986.attach

Been wondering how to get a dome on a nail header!!
Thank You
Billy

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Billy;

Here's my "doming tools". The "block" or base had been bored and internally threaded like a big blind nut or cap. The flange is something I found that looked like it would make a good "foot" for my vise since my floor is hard packed earth. The ball pein is a 32 oz so the pein is a good size for the hole in the block.

I've finally gotten to the point where rather than just looking for "specific" materials for projects I have in mind I notice bits and pieces I might could use for tools or to make tools from. My "raw stock" inventory continues to grow and my Wednesday quandry is "If I'm scrappin' I'm not hammerin', and if I'm hammerin', what kind of goodies am I missing at the scrapyard?!" Our local yard is a LOT more fun than WalMart! ;)

15989.attach

15990.attach

15991.attach

Edited by Yance
spelling<G>

Yance is that the result of the computer crash at work. Nice save my friend.
Ken

Nahh, "my" computer seems to crash all the time. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention.:o

Been by the shop a few times but it seems you're always somewhere else. No sign of life around. I'll catch you there before long though.

Sounds like the August Guild meeting may be somewhere besides Falling Creek. Just have to wait and see.