I Forge Iron

How Deep is your firepot?

Anarx

I recently completed my brake drum forge and have been giving it a good run but ran into a bit of a problem.

I used this large drum *13" ID and roughly about 10-12" deep* it was working fine until i tried to heat the middle of a set of tongs i was working on. no matter what i did i could not get the heat high enough to get the middle of the bar.

right now i'm debating about cutting off the surface of the drum *where the brake shoes would connect* to or put something inside the drum to raise up my coal bead.

how deep should i my firepot be? i need to rectify this ASAP and i have my oxy fuel torch ready to go.

That is awfully deep. Mine is about 4-5" I have seen some as dee as 6-7". I thinks you will find you have to build the bottom up a little rather than cut the top, as most brake drums are cast iron and you are going to have a hard time trying to cut that with a torch. The other issue you may be having is your blower may not be strong enough.

How ever did you get it so deep? Mine is probably about newmans size. I'd guess the original brake drum I got was about 11" diameter, 4" deep, I believe it came from a large truck. I welded the brake drum into a piece of 1/4" plate inside a pretty heavy duty old grill that I really beefed up with welds, different racks and cross bracing. As you can see in the pics I welded up the bolt holes in the brake drum.

Then I cut a circular piece of 1/4" plate to sit inside the brake drum. I drilled a few holes (I believe six) to allow the air to rise up in the center. Then I fabricated a circular grill I made out of 1/4" x 3/4" steel bar turned up on its edge. This lets the air disperse easier into the coal/coke and makes it easier to clean for me. You could make a simpler setup i'm sure but I had the time and access to make something more sophisticated. I don't know what your setup looks like exactly but if you show some pics we can help you with suggestions.

15117.attach

15118.attach

15119.attach

15120.attach

15121.attach

How ever did you get it so deep? Mine is probably about newmans size. I'd guess the original brake drum I got was about 11" diameter, 4" deep, I believe it came from a large truck. I welded the brake drum into a piece of 1/4" plate inside a pretty heavy duty old grill that I really beefed up with welds, different racks and cross bracing. As you can see in the pics I welded up the bolt holes in the brake drum.

Then I cut a circular piece of 1/4" plate to sit inside the brake drum. I drilled a few holes (I believe six) to allow the air to rise up in the center. Then I fabricated a circular grill I made out of 1/4" x 3/4" steel bar turned up on its edge. This lets the air disperse easier into the coal/coke and makes it easier to clean for me. You could make a simpler setup i'm sure but I had the time and access to make something more sophisticated. I don't know what your setup looks like exactly but if you show some pics we can help you with suggestions.

How do you like using that grill on there? is there much space between your grill and that plate?

I also have a brake drum firepot. Cutouts on opposite sides weren't that hard to do in Cast iron with and angle grinder. I find that for a charcoal fire, the standard 4 inch depth is a little shallow for welding, its hard to get out of the oxidizing part of the fire without piling on the charcoal. I think 6 or 8 inches deep would be better for a charcoal fire.

Hey Jesse

You could put some fire bricks in the bottom and pack some river clay, or even mud with fireplace ash mixed in between them.
I figure you could experiment and see if this works, and if you like it you could always replace the creek clay with fireplace mortar or refractory clay.

Have fun, and hope it works better

Iain

By all means use firebrick to fill in the bottom but I would not advise cement! You should pack between the bricks with clay- anything will do- just dig some up. You can incorporate some ground up firebrick as grog if you want. To restrict heat transfer you could use all clay and incorporate some finely divided organic matter such as chain saw swdust. As the temperature rises the organic material burns and you have small pockets which increase the thermal insulation qualities.

How do you like using that grill on there? is there much space between your grill and that plate?

I like using the grill I made. I don't know if you can see in the pictures but there are some small feet (tabs) I welded under the grill. That allows the grill to sit like 3/4" above the plate with the holes in it that sits inside the brake drum. I also have two little round handles on the sides of that grill I welded up so if necessary I could lift it out hot with a hook, although that is something i've never had the need for. But those hooks also make it easy to lift it out period.

The space between the grill and plate allow a good volume of air to rush under the wood/charcoal/coal/coke or whatever i'm burning. Because it's kind of a bin/hopper design I often just burn wood in it and burn that down to really hot embers/coals. Then I will occasionally toss in a shovel of charcoal or coal. It's fun to make mini bon fires in it. I just wear a shade 5 face shield and I can get really close if I want, but when I get serious I wait till the flames die out and start using the really hot stuff underneath. You can get to forge weld fairly easily in a firepot. I just turn the hairdryer to high and I have bright orange heat (sparking) heat. :D

• 1 month later...