I Forge Iron

Shop layout: ideas wanted

So, I will be breaking ground soon on a new 10x19 building. I am pouring a slab 10x28 for possible expansion if permits can be had in the future for the larger building.

The only thing in the shop that can not move easily is the side draft chimney. I want to get the placement right from the beginning. Here is a scale drawing of one layout I have in mind, everything labeled. Other ideas follow (unlabeled, same symbols)

Remember that I may be able to expand out the double doors in the future.

I want to get an idea for potential future power hammer and anvil locations so that I can pour an isolation box in the cement for them now while it is easy.

I am fairly certain I want the double doors where they are, but EVERYTHING is open for change except the square footage of the building.

I think I want to keep the same side draft chimney I had before, but if people think I should go out the roof, I am open...

I have a bit of woodworking equipment in the room, it is stuff that supports the kind of work I want to do.

15004.attach

15005.attach

15006.attach

Care to share with us what kind of work you hope to do in this shop? Hard to make suggestions if we don't know if you'll be doing knives or 20' railings!

My comment would be to put a wall between your sawdust makers and your spark producers even if you have to put a pass through door in it to work long items!

Fair enough, I should say what I am doing!

I am only about a year into this, so far it has all been small artsy stuff. I would not expect to do any railings or anything that takes more than one hand to lift.

So far, I have been doing wood mounted fold forming, switch plates in copper (fold formed also) lots of trinkets and animal head hooks. I tend to grind and finish the pieces on a wire wheel or with an angle grinder.

I am mostly at the point of skill builders, am just starting with welding (forge and mig)

A combined wood and blacksmith shop is possible, but your shop design is a little small, make it bigger if at all possible. I have a commercial shop with patternmaking (woodworking) in one end and a blacksmith shop at the other. I do not have a wall between them and one would often be in the way, but my shop is 25x60 and I do have a welding curtain between the wood shop and metal athough I only draw it if I am doing a lot of grinding or arc welding.
Here are some of the things that I would consider. Ideally your shop should be concrete block or steel, if that is not possible make sure you drywall the walls and ceiling so that if you have any sort of fire it will not spread. I think this is the most important as you are bound to have sprarks get into inacessable corners. Make sure you ALWAYS clean up any shavings and sawdust before doing any metal work particularly grinding and welding.
I agree with Mike that you should use your cutoff saw outside if possible or perhaps a lean to on the outside. Grinding/cutoff saw grit will easily get embedded into wood and be difficult to clean. As well the chop saw is one of your biggest fire hazzards. A cuttoff bandsaw is a good alternative.
I would consider whether you really need a table saw, table saws are real space hogs as well as being the most dangerous machine in the shop. A bigger bandsaw is a more versatile tool as long as you don't plan on using a lot of sheet goods. A large welding blanket is a good thing to have around the shop to lay over any flammable projects while you are working on metal work.

I would resist putting the forge in a corner. It may be fine now while you are working on small stuff, ut I will guarantee that later you will want to do something longer and regret not having room for it. Sketch 3 has a better location for the forge IMO for this reason.

Boy, this is a tough one- given that you want to work wood and metal in the same space.
I do the same kind of work... wood and metal. I have 40' X 60' and it is turning out to be too small:o So far I have covered a pallet of cherry with grinding bits, it was about 10' away from the grinding station...Oh well. I use welding screens now...
Think about a lean too if you can. Do all your metal finishing and cutting out there as those will be your biggest mess makers. Cold cut chop saw or bandsaw for processing long stock. A table saw in a shop that size will definatly need dust collection (suction) and most likely some sort of outfeed table. I find MDF is a wonderfull table top, in that you can trash it and replace when it becomes wornout. Think about suspending some things from the cealing... Like an 1/8" steel plate to cover your tablesaw's outfeed table... or hing it to a wall, if you don't need the wall space (huh, as if) when you want to do some welding. As with any shop, Fire is going to be a BIG issue for you because you will be covering things with dust then working hot metal in the same space...As others have said- keep the forge as open as possible for access, you wont regret it:)
I don't know what your property restrictions are but the more metal work you can do outside the better.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress, Exciting...a new shop:D

I have been thinking about this, and have moved my vices to a corner work bench. The forge is near the middle now. I have also put a rectangle under my anvil to show where the power hammer will go in four or five years. I figure I will be able to move the regular anvil nearer the door when that PH arrives. The forge is 6 feet from close wall. The workbenches and cuttoff table for the stock rack will be the same height as forge.

Glue bottle represents a welder.

15065.attach

I think I'd put the forge on the opposite wall so long stock can extend out through the door if necessary. Then line the far wall with a long bench that incorporates a cutting station. The "New Yankee Woodshop" has a number of good designs and plans for cabinetry to accommodate more than one machine. Recalling your question about chop versus band saws I highly recommend a band saw for a compact shop unless you can move the chop saw outside. You could put a fold down bench on the outside wall for a cutting station and save room, noise and mess inside.

Being able to use the man door to extend long stock through works the same for your cutting and drilling stations as for the forge. All you need is 10' from the center to a stop, wall, etc. and you're good to go on any lengths.

I'd mount as few items permanently as possible. Being able to rearrange things as your work and style change is really handy.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

I should state some more of my constraints here:

The wall without windows looks out on to a fence and my "not so friendly" neighbor. No windows on that side. I want my chimney going that direction because I would rather not look at it from my yard. The windows are on the side they are on because that is the west, and it is the only side that does not have a stockade fence within five feet.

I am about to post an idea for a stock rack, I expect it to go on the windowless side.

It would be really great if I could think of a way to have the forge area not set either. I really liked my side draft forge. My current plan is to have them frame out three different locations for the side draft to go. I will have the other two there and "punch them out" of the drywall if I ever need them.

This may sound kind of goofy but you could put a full length cupola on your shop. (I don't know if that's what they're actually called but you see them on cow barns like a little room the full length of the ridge with vents in them)

Anyway, if you put something like that on the roof you could run the stack out almost anywhere simply be removing a panel and replacing it with one with a stovepipe jack. All you'd need to do is miss the trusses.

I know, hair brained but . . .

Frosty